Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:19:59 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Do Shift linkage bushes wear ...
Comments: To: The Westy man <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

it all adds up. yes, worn shift linkage, driven and shifted gently with care 'generally' shouldn't hurt the internals of a transmission......... but ............the conservative answser is .......the shift linkage needs to be basically pretty right, and nicely lubed, for best transmission life. it's 3 systems really, the trans itself, the clutch, and the linkage. If either clutch, or linkage ..........and .......actually, the 4th system, the driver.........if any of those 3 systems external to the trans are dodgey, unlubed, or weak......... or just plan clumsy ..........it shortens the life of the trans. I should include how the throttle is applied too. Some people are easy on equipment. a few even keep it lubed and properly adjusted and drive it nicely. on the other hand, some people are really rough on equipment, but don't know it. And that is even worse than people who are rough on equippment, know it, but don't care. I will accept knowlegable abuse over ignorance any day - lol ;-) .

I'd say how well transmission and shift linkage, and clutches last and work are very, very dependent on how they are maintained, or not maintained, and how they are used and driven. just like tires and brakes. Some people drive the hell out of those, some people are really easy on them. And really really expert drivers, even racing drivers, can go fast as hell, and still be easy on equipment.

btw, I sometimes wind 'er out real gently..........at only say 30 % throttle, then do a pretty long slow 'snick-snick' shift into the next gear..........just butter smooth, Like you might out in the boonies on a long straight road where no car comes by but once an hour. I have tried to teach people to shift gently ...... and what I've noticed is that the muscle patterns are just burned into people's brain from years and decades of shifting the same, way, with no one to ever tell them they are being rough on things. Worst case I saw was a guy from England with a factory 1.6TD Syncro, and he would short shift ever shift...........like accelerate hard, but shift real early, like at 2,200 rpm and say, and then immeidatel floor it, every shift. He lugged his engine badly, every single shift. He drove a fully rebuilt 1.6TD engine into puking and using oil in only 40,000 miles that way. Just pounded out the ring groves from excessive pressure on them every single shift, is my theory. Besides keeping things well lubed and adjusted........the driver is the single biggest factor. that same guy just blew out those white plastic ball-like shifter parts at the base of the shifter too. If you lube those once in a while with a good synthetic spray grease, and shift it right, they will last just indefenily, as will a good to start with Vanagon trans.......... keep good oil in it, keep everything lubed and adjusted, and drive it right ........ they can last basically indefenitely. scott www.turbovans.com scott www.turbovans.com

---- Original Message ----- From: "The Westy man" <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:34 PM Subject: Do Shift linkage bushes wear ...

I am not sure how much the worn shift linkage bushings harm the transmission. Anyone? Zoltan