Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:44:48 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Poptop Seal Project
Comments: To: Jamie Fitterer <fittdog8848@HOTMAIL.COM>

I hate when folks use silicon on a failing pop top seal. It just makes the whole replacement job so much more tedious because to make it look good you have to scrape the silicon off with a razor knife or razor blade. The rust stains really shouldn't matter because they are going to be covered up by the new pop top seal anyway but the gunked up silicon can be a real nightmare. I had one that was so bad of a job, the guy gunked on black silicon really sloppily then saw how crappy it looked so he taped off about 2 inches above the seal all the way around and sprayed with black rock guard. I get it here and have to put a new seal on, scrape off the old silicon glop and then the only way I could get it to look half decent again way to respray it around the edge after I was done.

Please, just replace your seals, don't use silicon. I am going to start to charge an extra hour or two of labor when I see folks come in like this.

Have fun! Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Jamie Fitterer wrote: > I am replacing my Poptop seal and wanted to know the best wayt to clean the surface. The previous owner Siliconed the poptop seal to the hardtop and I want to remove and clean that before I put on the new busdepot one I got. > > I was thinking of using some rubbing alcohol to remove the rust stains from the previous seal and the silicone. > > > Any suggestions would be appreciated. >