Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:53:13 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: least steep California Sierra Passes/ THANKS!
Comments: To: Neil2 <vidublu@GMAIL.COM>

re How about the 395 North from reno to lassen park via 89 or 44, then > over to mt shasta via 89 -- any brutal passes that route?

short answer is 'no.' Very pretty too. I guess I drive faster cars or something, but even when I drove a 75 hp 1.9TD vanagon I just went anywhere, on any roads........... not like 'real hills' where to be avoided or anything. TD engine isn't bothered by altitude much either.

But deffenitely no 'brutal passes' on that route. There's a nice variation too, only open in summer. There's a very nice lake in Lassen Park...........that you access from the north side, like the north eastside..........might be Lava Lake....... that's on the road that's only open in summer. Nice camping there, and canoeing, and hike up this awesome Cinder dome there.........Lassen park is spread out before you pretty much from the top of that cinder dome. Further along that road ..........awesome views of both Mt lassen from the north ........and Mt Shasta too. From that angle Mt Shast looks like a jagged pyramid, like K2. Then the road follows Hat Creek.........nice campgrounds along there too. yeah.............east of susanville you get to choose to go around Lassen Park on the south side, or the north side. both are very pretty routes. The one on the south side of Lassen park is more direct into Red Bluff I believe. Also..........this time of year.......... enter the park at the south entrance...........it's a climb ............but it's gorgeous ......that road goes right up past summer snow fields........and pretty high up the side of Mt Lassen too, the top is like an hour hike from the parking lot, then the road stays high for a while..........meadows and streams and pines.............camping up in there too...........then you go out the north west entrance to the park back down to the haze, heat, and crowds ! try to buy your gas in Oregon, it's less expensive than in Ca.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Neil2" <vidublu@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:23 PM Subject: Re: least steep California Sierra Passes/ THANKS!