Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:59:38 -0700
Subject:      Re: Aux driving lights question..best easy power source..?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

If you are going to mount the relay close to the lights, then I would run a fat wire directly to the positive terminal of the battery.

David Marshall http://www.hasenwerk.ca Box 4153, Quesnel BC, Canada V2J 3J

On Thu, July 31, 2008 12:46, Don Hanson wrote: > > Hi all, > > I am installing some KC Daylighter lights onto my 84 vans front bumper. > These came from my now retired big Ford. 100 watt bulbs, you see em > everywhere on showboat trucks and buggies, the big round ones with the > 'smiler face' covers sometimes. > > Anyhow, I used these on my pickup in Baja and on deserted roads and > they've saved me a few cow and deer encounters so now they are going onto > the van. > So far, I have all the stuff and the hardware is in place, with the > lights > drilled into the bumpers right under my headlights. I also have a genuine > VW auxiliary light switch for the blank position in my dash switch panel. > Here's my plan..see if it makes sense. I plan to take a small lead from > my > high beams, probably from the fuse panel and run that to the aux light > switch. I will use the aux light switch to control a 30 amp relay to > power > the lights, but the aux. light switch will only get power through the > switch > if the high beams are on. So, if I want the aux lights on, I have to run > the high beams..and if I dim the high beams, the aux light switch will no > longer power that relay, so the auxiliary lights will go off also. Just > in > case I am on a mountain road and come round a corner encountering a stray > vehicle with my driving lights on, a quick dip of the high beams will kill > em. (as is mandated by law, too, I think, though the KC lights aren't > highway legal anyhow.) > > So the question is, where is a good place to get some power for the > power > side of the light relay I plan to install as close to the lights as > possible. Shorter is better, right? But I don't want to chance > overloading > a critical circuit so what would be good? I could come forward from my > coach battery (under the driver seat) or maybe from the fan power supply. > Not the headlights..as I'd hate blowing a fuse and being lightless at > speed.. > any suggestions, any 'gotchas' with my plan? > Thanks, > Don Hanson > > I don't care if it doesn't look 'factory'. I can live with extra > visible > wires. Easy of install overrides beauty, but durability and function > trumps > all. >