Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:23:45 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil and Coolant Reccomendations
Comments: To: Aileen Boyd <aileen.boyd@GMAIL.COM>

this is what I use ....... in all not new, not just rebuilt, and not very modern cars, vans and engines - ffor engine oil , for a non-synthetic : Cheron Delo 15W40............ never ever had a bit of trouble with that oil. I might not use that weight at zero degrees ........but for normal summer and mild winter.......that's what I use, in everything that's not brand new or super modern. I might add a hydrualic lifter cleaner for hyd. valve lifters if needed, I might put in 'engine restore' on a very high miles tired engine.........but bascially.......that's a suepr fine great oil, which I use full time professionally.

on coolant .......I don't think the blue VW stuff is absolutely needed. My normal coolatn mix is regular high quality ( like Prestone Extended Life in the yellow gallon job ) anti-frz..........mixed 50/50 with tap water. If you think your water is hard or whatever, then use distilled. Then I put in machinist's water soluble oil as a water pump lube and rust inhibutor.,, like a teaspoon or tow. I have been doing this full time on cars for about 20 years. This works, believe me. Makes the coolant a little milky looking..........I swear buy it. I have even changed the coolant, using this mixture, on a waterboxer engine with seeping outer water gaskets, and treated the coolant with a little Bars Leak ( the only one I recommend ) and kept that engine working just fine for another year at least. scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Aileen Boyd" <aileen.boyd@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 3:10 PM Subject: Oil and Coolant Reccomendations