Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Aug 2008 21:50:52 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: WBX motor rather than ....
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

lol. I was just reading about the newest Carrera 911 and 911 S. direct fuel injection - very high tech........ and .......of all amazing things, one piece cylinder heads ! Like that was a breakthrough or something.

and I will say for sure the waterboxer is ( hastily it appears ) an adaptered air-cooled design to water cooling. Also...........Porsche's first waterboxer ............the engine they introduced with the Boxster car.......... a 4 valves per cylinder design............I'm sure others know more details........but those engines have a fundamental and semi-unsolvable water in the oil problem, or perhaps oil in the water..........one or the other, or both perhaps.

my thoughts on why VW stayed with the waterboxer for the Vanagon from 83 to 91....... for one thing.............the orginal concept and layout for the VW bus is 'oppossed 4 cylinder aluminum rear engine'.......... so sticking with that was expected ( one does wonder why they just didn't do inline 4 gassers .........but I suspect they wanted to retain the design philosophy for their gasoline rear engine vans..................or they just had tons of aluminum to use up for engine gases, Anyway...........that got them from air-cooled to water cooled. Then they improved the 1.9 with the 2.1 waterboxer in 86. Then after a few years of that , with crash requirements or standards getting higher.......... the end of era of the rear engine van was apporaching .....( after all.......a fresh sheeet of paper, with front engine, and aerodynamics in the equation more, was needed next ) .................at that point it just becomes a matter of having the same vehicle every year until the new one is ready..............and ............the cost of production per unit gets lower the more they make of them from all the tooling and factory stuff they've invested in to make it .......... so they just stamp 'em out until it's time to bring out the new car, and no sense making huge ( expensive ) changes the last few years if you know you're just going to drop the model anyway. But they sure dropped to ball going to the Eurovan. Havn't recovered yet in the North American market for a VW van. And they 'had it' ............they had it with a 'sporty not-quite-truck' van with good ground clearnce, and AWD available - the Vanagon.

The least old vanagons are apporaching 20 years of age.......and yet with upgrades that us all Vangon nuts do to them, or even bone stock and well cared for and maintiained........ ...........there is just tons of life and usefullness left in Vanagons. They're iconic even.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson@GORGE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 3:18 PM Subject: WBX motor rather than ....