Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Aug 2008 19:43:05 -0700
From:         mdrillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Adding a westy interior to a passanger van
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

I would not bother with the overhead cabinet. I'm sure purists will cringe but it is more of a nuisance than a feature. I have bumped my head on them so many times as has my wife. I have known a few people who have actually removed them from their Westys. I would not go that far but I certainly would not add one. My wife always wanted me to take the one out of our traveling Westy but I sold it after our Stretch was far enough along.

I have converted 8 various passenger Vanagons to Campers mostly using donor aircooled Westy stuff. I don't try to make them something that could fool someone into thinking they are the real thing. I leave things out I don't feel are needed and I change things I think can be improved. An example is the utility outlets on the outside. They serve no purpose for me so I won't put them in. Sometimes the water tank filler one but even there I prefer my own inside filler. That way I know the tank won't get contaminated. I only use purified water in my Campers anyway so filling from inside is best.

I love Westys but in spite if being wonderful they are far from perfect for everyone. This is evidenced by the many variations of the full campers available around the world, all made by Westfalia for different peoples needs. While we only had one layout here after 1981 that was not true elsewhere.

Mark

craig cowan wrote: > I'd leave the headliner alone, but this is a perment installation, and the > sunroof will never see light again (as there's a poptop ontop of it). So if > anyone needs a sunroof headliner in only "Good" shape, it can be theirs if > they'd like to replace my roof completely with a real westy roof and > headliner : ) > In the meantime, it might need a hole or two..... : ( > I don't think the overhead cabinet is going to be an easy thing to do.... > > -Craig > -85GL > > > On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 9:25 PM, mdrillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > > >> The closet is way too tall because you have the MUCH thicker rear roof >> assembly of the sliding roof (sunroof). Ordinary passenger vans don't have >> that problem and the closet can be used with no trimming in those. There are >> 2 small nubs that can be rounded off so it won't press into the headliner as >> much but no real trimming for height for standard passenger van use. Your >> sunroof situation is another matter. You have a double wall roof with a big >> space between for the roof to slide back into. >> >> Leave the headliner alone! >> >> Mark >> >> >> >> craig cowan wrote: >> >> >>> So as some of you may know, i just picked up my first westy! It's a 1980, >>> and it's in contention for "Rustiest Vanagon" in the world, but i'm only >>> interested in the interior. If i can't afford a real working westy, but >>> have >>> a working vanagon, it's time to make my own dreams come true. So....i have >>> some questions. >>> >>> I'm adding a westy interior into an '85 sunroof van that already has a >>> poptop, but i guess most of the following would apply to any passanger van >>> that you're adding an interior too. First and foremost, what to do about >>> the >>> headliner? Leave it in, take it out? >>> Secondly, the rear cabinet will need to be trimmed in order to fit, as >>> it's >>> roughly 3 inches too tall to fit in a passanger van (with a curved roof). >>> So, do yo guys trim off the top? If so, how does that effect the >>> attachment >>> of the overhead cabinet (Which i might not be able to use as well as a >>> result in the curved roof, and the inability to send bolts THROUGH the >>> sunroof). >>> >>> Any thoughts? >>> >>> -Craig >>> '85GL (Half westy at this point) >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >> >> > > >