Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Aug 2008 10:55:13 -0700
From:         Bruce Todd <beeceetee@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fuel injector question - non starting

Dear group,

After reading the dire consequences about not replacing 20 + year old fuel lines as well as looking at the dreadful pictures, I wisely succumbed. Additionally, I wanted to change my rusty air distribution system which included a very scaly manifold. When pulling everything apart, I also ended up replacing 4 corroded fuel injectors with a respectable set of used ones complete with new rubber seats. They all "clicked" when I tried them out at the Bugshop.

With everything put back in place and looking much better - I tried starting my van and...it wouldn't start. Basically it turns over but won't catch or idle or even sputter and cough.

I have a 1986 Digifant 2.1 L motor.

Here are some questions.

Question 1: With the ignition on should the control valve for the idle stabilizer vibrate and hum? Mine does and I figure this is correct.

Question 2: With *all the injectors* unplugged from the harness and the ignition on - when using a test light, only one of the injection inputs from the harness lights up for each connector. Can someone tell me which is the corresponding male end on the injector itself - in other words which injector prong requires the hot end from the harness plug? When looking at the ends or prongs at the two injectors for cylinders 3 & 4 should the power go to the left or right prong for each injector - left for the intent of this orientation being cylinder 3 as left to cylinder 4 and cylinder 2 as left to cylinder 1 - or left being toward the front of the van and right toward the rear.

Things I've checked:

- I believe I'm getting fuel as I've pulled off the fuel line at the plastic distributor rail with fuel spilling. As well, the injectors are wet from fuel from when I pulled them out from the manifold. - I believe all plugs and hoses are on and in place - I made some diagrams to make sure everything is correct - - I removed the throttle housing when doing my initial work and placed it back onto a refurbished intake distributor. I did not tamper or touch the throttle valve switch nor has the idle adjusting screw been touched. - The throttle cable was reinstalled close to its original position prior to the disassembly.

I noticed that the Bentley on page 24.47 for the digifant shows the fuel rail or fuel distributor as backwards as how my van was configured - The flanged end should be installed toward the front of the bus and the rounded end toward the rear of the van. I also used Ben's good photo essay about fuel line replacement and his photos also confirm the Bentley has the fuel rails backwards. Mind you, this could be old news.

Thanks,

Bruce

86 Vanagon Syncro