Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Aug 2008 01:24:13 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Fuel Tank R&R And Heater Booster

After weeks of smelling gas and actually seeing it drip on fill up, I couldn't ignore my fuel tank vent lines any longer and dropped the tank today. Armed with Ken Wilford's write up on how to do the job, I was thrown a bit of a curve-mine has the heater booster, and the cross over tube goes over top of the heat channel coming from the gas heater. It popped off one side as the tank dropped, but ti looks like it's going to be real fun trying to get that tube back in place on reinstalling the tank. I'm saving that for tomorrow. Would like to hear of any tricks from those who've done this job and have the heater booster. The heater booster itself is not working, and I want to check that out as well. ( Sounds crazy to be trying to fix a heater when its in the 90's, but better now than when it in the 20's) Bentley shows it as having two fuel pumps, mine only appears to have one-if there is a second one, I'm not seeing it. Even though mine is an early '84, it has the later style (0r Cali fornia model) fuel tank filler. The original owner was a Colonel in the US Army, and picked the van up at the factory. i purchased it from his granddaughter who inherited it upon his passing, and even though she was in Virginia (and so am I) I have no idea where the good Colonel lived when he had the van shipped to the states. Jeff