Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:45:08 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Heh -- I'm such a ninnyhammer
Comments: To: Mike Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

At 06:13 PM 8/3/2008 -0700, Mike Elliott wrote: >Oh great -- some secret set screw buried in the AFM body. And I should >tell the shop to hook up the sniffer, unearth that screw and play with it?

That screw is for adjusting the mixture at idle -- it regulates a small bypass that allows air to go through the AFM without being metered. You turn it while monitoring the CO level at the test port ahead of the CAT. Once the throttle opens its effect is swamped. The magic plug on top is to keep owners from touching it -- you have to stop it from spinning while you drill a little hole in the top, then yank it out with a hook (it has a steel bottom to capture the shavings and keep you from drilling right through). USA emissions law... I've drilled it out, but I think next time I'd rough it up a little and epoxy a handle to it -- it's only held in by an expanding-ring in a groove.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"