Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Aug 2008 07:55:34 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      New Springs Report after Good Test
Comments: To: Wetwesties <Wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

This is a report on my impressions/opinions on the new springs under my '90 Westy after a good workout on a road I've driven many times that provides a challenge to any vehicle. Last month I had a set of the Lift Springs from Van Cafe installed on my '90 Westy: http://www.van-cafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?pa=p&p=859919852&pct=659798003&ct=502628078 I'm also running Bilstein shocks all the way around, have had those on for a couple of years now. And one year old Haka CS 185R14 tires running at 43 front, 53 rear, on VW alloy wheels. Wheel alignment, done by the only rleiable VW dealer shop around, is set to specs for 'medium load', that setting at my request. Last week I took a trip up into the foothills of the Cascade Mountains to an event I attend every year, the Table Mountain Star Party, a gathering of amateur astronomers, at about 6.300 feet. The severe part of the trip to Table Mountain is the last 12 miles on Forest Service roads, the first 10 paved (sort of in places) one lane narrow road with turnouts occasionaly to allow vehicles to pass. The last two miles are dirt and badly washboarded in places because you are still climbing till you get to the site of the star party. Over the last 20 years I've driven this road at least once a year, sometimes three or four, in everything from an Econoline Van to a Colt Vista but for the last 15 years in a Westy, first my '85 and the last six years in my '90. This road has about as tight and steep a bunch of curves, bends, and switch backs as you would want to drive. And I'm driving with a fully loaded Westy, at least 500 pounds of equipment, extra water, etc, outfitted to spend a week of dry camping. The improvement in handling was very noticable. The Westy is noticably more stable, flatter in the curves, more sure footed. I felt very comfortable driving this road, especially coming down. The washboard section was noticably less harsh (and the road noticably worse than a year ago) and over all the van felt more in control all the way up and all the way down. And BTW, it also is a more comfortable to drive on the freeway at highway speeds. So I'll sum up this way. When I switched to the alloy wheels several years ago (6" width vs. 5 1/2" stock steel rims) I could feel a very, very subtle improvemnt in handling. When I switched to the Bilstein shocks (replacing the KYB (Kill Your Butt) shocks) I noticed a big difference in handling and ride. The Haka tires made a small improvement in stability over the Agilis they replaced. But the new springs really added the frosting to the cake. I'm really happy with the ride, the stabilty and the control now. At one time I drove my '85 Westy for about five years with the wrong tires, worn springs and bad shocks (ignorance on my part, hadn't discovered the VW/Vanagon related Internet lists yet) and the difference is so great that it can't be described. In my opinion the overall cost (springs and Bilsteins) has been well worth it. For those wondering how to improve the ride I can recommend these springs,