Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:21:26 -0700
From:         Patsy Taoyama <taoyama@MAC.COM>
Subject:      California Smog Test 2008

Hi Patti

I was in the same situation earlier this year. Heck, the State even offered me $200. to retire my Westy. The new CA Smog Laws are tuff to pass. They really want to get older vehicles off the road. Yes they will test the gas tank vent system. I had that fixed last year so no problem at test time. Unfortunately, the Catalytic Converter did not cooperate! IF your van fails a required test (like mine did), you may be eligible for financial aid from the state. Something your mechanic will be all to happy to help you with (he's happy, he gets the $$). In hind sight, I could have saved a good chunk of cash had I changed the Catalytic Converter and Oxygen Sensor myself. They were 22 years old after all. So, if you suspect anything is bad, fix it. These are older vehicles and will require these parts most likely sooner then later anyway.

Good luck. Pat 86' Westy -132,000

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:12:26 -0700 From: Donna Skarloken <dskarloken@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: California Smog Test 2008

Patti, I do know that in January when my son's van was tested they found his gas cap was not doing the job. He replaced it and all was well. I think the new testing was discussed on the list back in Feb. or March; BenT and others participated. We are in the test only area (I'm San Joaquin Valley, my son in the Bay Area). My van just failed testing but for other reasons that are now costing me a pile of money to fix.

Donna, 87 Syncro