Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Aug 2008 14:19:32 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: ECU optimization -- one quick question
Comments: To: Randal Jett <randal_jett@YAHOO.COM>

Hi there ! I hope the list can help you out here, with these issues.

one, would you mind defining 'ICU board' ................??? dont' know what you're talking about there. Very curious.

two ...........re "Removing the eCU for inspecting and the 're-flow' involved unleashing the unit from the zip-tie and foam pad it was resting on in the driver's engine bay well." This sure doesn't sound right. the ECU on an 86 and later Vanagon with 2.1 engine is mounted under the back seat, attached to, and under a nice metal cover. So what could be the deal with your ECU if it's z-tied in the engine compartmetn somewhere ??

re 'a bad ecu' ...........I just have a few different ones to try.......known good ones. You should have a known good ECU as a back-up and for trouble shooting - or.......that's sure one handy way to test for bad componenets- try swapping in known good used ones.

Iv'e got the same thing going on with my 87 wolfsburg............ though I still don't knwo why you call yours a 1987.5 since we talked about it, and I have the full blown Wolfsburg treatment with al the goodies and special equipment, and it's a january 87 production date, so one wouldnt' think that's 87 and 1/2. but anyway......... I'm working on essentially the same thing on mine. it'll start and run. it runs very weakly at a cold idle. as though the Air idle Valve isnt' doing it's thing, or the control unit. Did you consider and test for vaccuum leaks !!? those can be hard to track down and find, and cause all kinnds of inconsisent or weak idle and cold idle issues. i'm very tempted to try out my various compents on my perfectly starting, idling and running 2.1 waterboxer engine in my 85 Wolfsburg Weekender. I also can tell I'm fighting, on this particular engine in the 87 Wolfsburg, very high miles and low compression....... but even still..........I 'should' be able to get it starting, idling and running right. Once underway, like 30 mph .........she just rips too. Very perky and fast. I can clearly see that the place to start on any real vanagon 'complete re-do and refurbish' is with a thorough engine job. Got one right here I need to keep going on- a 2.1 engine. Gotta get those heads in a machine shop.

sorry to babble here - my bottom line, always consider vacuum leaks. They can really gettcha. And it has to be somehwere between.......... the harness, the sensors and inputs, the ECU, the Idle Valve and it's control unit, or the engine itself.

in any case, it's a 'blockage or leakage of fluids or electrons.' ( and not everyone realizes that 'fluids' include vaccuum, exhaust, air, egr if equipped, etc. 'fluid' also includes gases. it's just one or more leakages or bloackages. WHERE they are, that's the essense of the problem. find them.........and then it's pretty easy. and I realized that's why I want to know where someone's broken down van is.......WHERE it is, is the very first step in getting fluids, or blown out hoses or whatever where they belong. scott www.turbovans.com

fwiw...........read about a Porsche technician - fanatic - he said that all the ECU's that he's seen and worked on ..............they never actually fail........but they get cracked soldering joints, and that's how he fixes them, fixing those failed soldered connnections.

also.........of 25 ECu's or more I've played with on vanagons ..............very, very few have I ever identified as actually faulty. I always consider the ECU, but I don't automatically go there right away. and ...........it's very often not one bad thing................but 6 half bad or weak things that all add up.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randal Jett" <randal_jett@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, August 04, 2008 1:38 PM Subject: ECU optimization -- one quick question

I have been following, with great interest, all the conversations about the guy with the 1984 ECU issues, looking for a good match, known good or not ECU, and so forth. It got me thinking about my 1987.5 stock Wolfsburg and the idle profile post the last shop visit. I had some troubles with that shop who will remain annonymous because the issues that came from their work indeed were so serious that I had to enlist legal help to get over our stalemate. That was then and this is now, so back to my ECU. Here's what I know and what I've tried so far. Maybe there is some experience on this list that can help me consider the next opportunity for what to try or do. My issue is also with the idle, the surge/stall features at requests for power at the engine, and mpg is, well, just OK enough at close to low-mid 20's 1. Removed and cleaned wiring harness; unwrapped looking for any shorts or 'mystery' wires -- found nothing unusual 2. Did a 'test reflow' on solder on the ICU board paying attention to the big resistors in particular. I gave only a little heat not wanting to over charge any of the delicate circuitry that was so painstakenly manufactured and installed. This, I think, was a very good idea as a first step 3. Removing the eCU for inspecting and the 're-flow' involved unleashing the unit from the zip-tie and foam pad it was resting on in the driver's engine bay well. I wiped the cobwebs out of this area before putting the unit back together clean. 4. Back to the innards of the ECU -- I did observe some gold potential connections, maybe copper but liked like it could indeed be gold, and I avoided getting too close to these as the reflow solder operation was specificalleya to the silver stuff only. I did NOT string solder 'saliva stringie' all over the board thereby at risk of contamination of these other colored terminals/PCboard features. So, that's not it at a minimum, I'm sure. 5. After reinstall of the ECU in the van body, and reconnection of the engine harness, which I had premarked with all connections and wires without connection terminations so I would not just start soldering on terminals in my absent-minded considion when I sometimes get that way with my nose over the engine -- I did not succomb to it becasue I had taken pictures of the engine in advance of wiring harness removal to make sure I could remember where everything went back on. (I learned that on the hard way from another project years ago.) 6. I tested the reassembled ECu and engine harness configuration, which as stated above, was identical to the way it was removed. It worked just like before, with the same idle stumble, surge/stall at acceleration request/demand and I'm still puzzled. 7. I did not do anything with the oxygen sensor except disconnect it when I removed the harness and reconnect when I put the harness back on. So that's it for what I know I have done to it. If any of you, especially the ones who have had the case open on the ECU, could reply with ideas for what is possibly going on, and in your experience what other information would help me, I would be forever grateful in the event that I have gotten lucky and won a big, big lottery -- I would gladly share the proceeds! Randal '87.5 wolfsburg patient stock configuration

=