Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:59:40 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Tank R&R-Now Won't Start
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

I would say that 5 gallons is way plenty suffecient for it to be able to run. I also cycle the pump a number of times first............and I think he did. I'd next hot wire the fuel pump - it's SUPER easy at the fuel pump relay once you see which two wires to jumper. You can also take teh screw out the fuel pressure testing port by the distributor, but don't let fuel spray all over your interior ! putting on a fuel pressure guage there is the best way.

fuel filter has been checked ? I have seen a fuel filter go from 'almost clogged' to 'won't run' just by disturbing it. Really.

And sometimes I have to prime the fuel pump. many fluid pumps can't get going with just air in them. they're designed to pump liquids of course. I've had to do that a few times - pour gas into the fuel pump inlet with a hose and small funnel to prime it.

good call on checking fuel pump polarity. sure wish they woulda made those little + and - symbols easier to see !! also.........long shot .........a very old fuel pump.......maybe it was getting pretty tired anyway......and now it's pushed over the edge. just something to consider. and flooeded too........you get the plugs wet with fuel........espcecially if they are old..........and you can't really tell if it's flooed or if no fuel is getting to the injectors, unless you pull a plug or two and check them.

----- Original Message ----- From: "craig cowan" <phishman068@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, August 04, 2008 7:51 PM Subject: Re: Fuel Tank R&R-Now Won't Start