Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:39:21 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Leaky valve cover tip of iceberg
Comments: To: ckelmo1@COMCAST.NET

Hi, not sure what 'valve head right at the gasket" means....... but if you found an oil and water mix............ what I've found is that *all* waterboxer engines that have been running a number of years....... need to have their heads removed............and uually a basic valve job in a machine shop, and new head gasksets. In bringing many vanagons back to health, unless I can tell the engine is pretty fresh, the heads need to come off, at the minimum. Almost like it was part of a regular tune up ........not quite that , but almost.

Most of the time..............that outer water retention rubber gasket is corroded, the aluminum surface of the head where it mates with that rubber gasket is corrodded, and the tiny green o-rings at the top of the barrels are very hard and stuck in their grooves- like they stopped doing much sealing a long time ago. If it's a typical tired waterboxer engine..........I'd say that head, or both, defenitely need to come off. scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cecil Eastman" <ckelmo1@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 8:07 AM Subject: Leaky valve cover tip of iceberg