Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Aug 2008 17:50:45 -0700
From:         mdrillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: 15" WHEELS AND TIRES?

Actually, I think they are made specifically for Vanagons. The VW part number for those steel wheels starts with 22S and that is the VW designation for the South African 'Vanagon' AFAIK.

VW/Audi uses a standard parts number convention worldwide. The first 3 digits generally indicate the vehicle model the part was first used on. For some parts the first 3 digits indicate a major assembly type the part was first used on. So parts of an engine will start with an engine family code and parts of a tranny with a tranny family code. (these codes are different than the codes stamped into engines and trannys to identify their individual variations)

Vanagon parts are generally 251 or 25_ and many of the parts used on SA 'Vanagons' have those numbers since they are the same parts as used on ours older vehicles. Parts that originated in SA 'Vanagons' start with 22S unless I am wrong. We used to have a VW dealer parts manager on this list and he could tell us what is what. Rennie?

Mark

Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: > they told me something about these wheels being from South Africa, > and you're right I'm sure, that they are not specifically for vanagons. > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Jake de Villiers > To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans > Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 3:45 PM > Subject: Re: 15" WHEELS AND TIRES? > > > The Van-Cafe 15 x 6 steelies are indeed VW/AUDI parts, but not made for Vanagons specifically. > > > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > forgot to mentioin......... > they're steel, not alloys, but Van Cafe has 'perfect' ( as I understand it ) > real vanagon 15 inch steel wheels. > 89 bucks each I think. > they require a cone face, as oppossed to ball face, mounting nuts and > bolts........but they'll give them to you included with the wheels. > > Personally...........I want something that bolts on correctly withut > adapters or spacers. > longer bolts or studs for thicker wheels.............don't mind that, but > prefer to avoid things like spacers or adapters. > Costs more to do it that way - like buy the right new whees , but I like the > security of a very stock-like wheel mount set up. > > A guy told me recently the Rhein 15 inch alloys aren't avaiable anymore. > I don't know if that's true or not, But what I like about those > is..........I beleive they were actually made for vanagons, and they are > 'real' vanaong 15 inch alloy wheels. Thought they're a bit heavy in terms > of unsprung weight ..........but they look great, are very well made, > properly rated for vanagons I believe, and easy to clean. They just cost a > bit. > There are sites that list all the vanagon wheel options. > scott > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Stephen Grisanti" <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:09 AM > Subject: Re: 15" WHEELS AND TIRES? > > > > Man, oh man. A veritable can of worms. If only it were that simple, as > I'm trying to figure it all for my own 2WD Westy. If the wheels have the > 5 x 112 bolt circle diameter, and if bolt holes are for 14 mm lugs and > have the right contour (curved instead of angled lug seat) and if the > centerbore diameter is large enough (66mm?), and if the wheels have the > right offset (30-35?), then yes, they'll fit. Bet they don't, 'cause > nearly nothing does from what I've been able to learn. > > For us owners with 2WD Vanagons it would be great to have a list of wheels > from other makes/models (if any) that bolt right up without modifications, > except maybe for longer lugs for the alloy wheels. That way we could > waste our time looking for the right wheels instead of wasting our time > calculatin' what to look for on a wheel that happens to turn up. > > I figure that by the time my current tires are ready for replacement I > might have found what works and will be ready to make the change. Maybe. > > Stephen > > > --- On Tue, 8/5/08, Jamie Fitterer <fittdog8848@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > From: Jamie Fitterer <fittdog8848@HOTMAIL.COM> > Subject: 15" WHEELS AND TIRES? > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Date: Tuesday, August 5, 2008, 10:31 AM > So here is a stupid one for somebody. > > Cna I just buy new 15 inch wheels and tires and replace my > 14 inch wheels and tires on my 84 westy? Or is there > something else I need to change to make this possible. Brake > shoes? rotors? > > Just wondering as I have come across some pretty nice > wheels and would like to jump on it. > > > > > -- > Jake > 1984 Vanagon GL > 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" > Crescent Beach, BC > www.crescentbeachguitar.com > http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27 > > >