Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Aug 2008 10:20:57 -0700
From:         mdrillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Aux light install..sort of  (long attempt)
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson@GORGE.NET>

Don, do NOT put a ground lead to any of the 3 large spades on your switch!

end spade = wire from fuse 5 center spade = wire to RELAY switch circuit lead other end spade = wire from a fused +12 source only when key on (optional step)

leave the optional step off until things are working with only the first 2 wires above never connect anything to the 2 small switch leads(live without a light on the switch)

Mark

Don Hanson wrote: > Thanks for helping, everyone. > > I have all the hardware installed. The lights work if you go to the > battery direct. The problem now is that the switch, as I am trying to use > it, causes my #5 fuse to blow when I activate the driving lights. > > I'm sure I done something really elemental wrong, but I know so little > about wiring that I'm not seeing my error. > > I'll try to recount how I've done this so far, and maybe someone will be > able to point me to my error. > > First: The in-dash auxiliary light switch. It has three positions...it > also has three large spades and two smaller ones. Ok, so the three big > spades are load, current and ground, right? and the two smaller terminals > share that ground and power a little bulb that lights up the switch > rocker..probably. If you use another power source to the small terminals. I > left those off, for now. So, what's with the three positions for the > switch? > > Now to 'power' that switch, I've taken a wire from the #5 terminal on the > main fuse panel. (I took it 'after' the fuse). My owners manual says this > is the fuse for "left high beam, high beam indicator". In theory, this > should put current to the switch only when the high beams are on.. I ran > this wire to the terminal on the aux light switch, grounded that switch to > the common ground points behind the fuse panel, and taken another (3rd) wire > off, from the switch to the 30amp lighting relay (four terminals relay) > This is supposed to activate the power to the driving lights by tripping the > relay. > > ((Here is where I made my first mistake, the one that caused to continuous > lighting of the High Beam indicator light...I took the switch feed wire from > the wrong terminal..After about a hundred re-traces of the circuits, I found > that, and I no longer have that problem)) > > So that should take care of the switching..but no, it doesn't. > > To power the aux. lights, I ran a big wire (fused at the battery terminal) > from the aux battery under the carpet and up to a relay (four connections, > 30 amp) near the fuse panel. Pushed that onto the "30" spade terminal and > ran another wire out to the lights from the One marked "load" on the relay. > I connected the smaller wire from the aux light switch to the relay switch > circuit and grounded the remaining relay terminal, again to the common > ground point behind the fuse panel.. > > Now as far as I can tell, this is how Joel, Walter and Marc said it should > work. Scott has something more complex..(thanks, everyone, BTW) > > But when I throw the auxiliary light switch...to either of it's two > positions, it snaps the #5 8amp fuse (for left high beam and indicator > light, where I got the power for the switch) So somewhere, it ain't right. > I tried a 16 amp fuse and that blows, too. When the fuse blows, the high > beam no longer works. Replace the fuse and all works right again, until you > flip the aux light switch.. > Me thinks maybe somehow the full current to all the lights is going through > that fuse circuit somehow, causing a big momentary load as the lights all > power up..but what do I know..Total guess on my part.. > > Anyone care to try to figure where I went wrong? If worse comes to it, I > have the KC auxiliary switch that I can work into it but that will not allow > me to control the Aux lights to work in conjunction with the dimmer switch, > which I'd like to do..It's dangerous and rude to be 'slow' to shut down very > bright lights when you suddenly are faced with oncoming traffic. I'd like > that to happen with a flick of the dimmer.. > > Don Hanson > > >