Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Aug 2008 19:39:15 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 15" WHEELS AND TIRES?

Mercedes W123 cars and W108 cars came with steel and alloy 15" wheels at ET23 and 7.0-7.5 inches wide. The steel wheels will bolt onto a 2wd w/o much fanfare. On top of that, they will accept a Jetta/Golf/Passat hubcap if you do not want to look at the Mercedes hubcaps. Alloys wheels will require longer bolts as often discussed here.

The common 8-hole Mercedes alloys that came on the later S-Class cars are around ET59 -- way too much for 2wd or even Syncros. They are usually 16's in that application. The same style came on C-Class and E-Class which were usually ET37. To make this even more interesting, several companies made 8-hole knock-offs which were designed for the W123 cars. Those are ET23. How do I know? I have one set of each of the above wheels.

BenT

On 8/5/08, mdrillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > > I believe both the 6.5" width and ET37 are wrong for 560SEC so those > wheels may have been installed by someone after it left the factory. > > The Mercedes part number molded into the back side would tell the tale. > > Rims in the ET20-30 range are the best bet for 2wd in 15". > Tires can make a difference in whether a given width and offset will > work on a Vanagon. > I use 215/75/15 and these did not fit up front with ET37, a common ET > for "C" Class Mercedes. This combo is fine for Syncros though. > > I should have mentioned 560 models also in my earlier post about ET22-25 > Mercedes wheels. > > Mark