Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Aug 2008 22:31:09 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: FAG or SKF wheel bearings?
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

Like Loren, my late father and I bought and used quite a bit of EMPI stuff in the 60s on a 62 Bug and 67 Deluxe 21 Wdw Bus, both bought brand new.

To bring Loren and others up-to-date, here is what happened after the EMPI name was sold to FDI in 1970:

The name remained just that - a name held by someone, languishing in a dark corner somewhere "out there".

Enter Emil and Dan Welden, owners of Mr Bug, Inc., who, after acquiring Truehaft & Autohaus (Rosevear Enterprises) in the 80s, eventually were able to secure acquisition of the EMPI name. Many of the items produced in the 70s & 80s under the Mr Bug, Autohaus and Truehaft monikers were all essentially good quality and were initially brought under the EMPI umbrella and a good many of these items are still being produced. Granted, they make a lot of garbage, it's just knowing what is and what is not garbage (this is why I like parts research the most out of the VW Parts profession & hobby). EMPI does maintain manufacturing offices in both Taiwan and China and has as far back as 1987 to the present day, but is essentially an American based and owned company, period. Their latest reproduction product line has been stock replacement 30PICT-1 and 34PICT-3 Carburetors, along with their own high performance line and they really did their homework in redesign, tooling and QC. So far, so good. At VWG/Airhead we've had very good feeling of satisfaction of their PICT series repros with sales of these increasing every month since we started carrying them.

In addition, another company started in the late 80s by the Weldens was Bay State Enterprises specializing in essentially manufacturing replacement Axles, CV Joints, Boot Kits and other Axle Drive Components, much of it in the US in the beginning This was also folded into the EMPI umbrella. Some component manufacturing is done in China, but a major portion of final assembly and packaging is done in their HUGE warehouse in Orange County, CA. Their Bay State operation alone in the building is an impressive site to see when it is in full swing. Much of their Bay State products are sold to the Big 3 Auto OEMs (in bulk of course,) as well as packaging of their CV Axle Assemblies, CV Joint Kits, CV Boot Kits and other assorted related hardware not only in "EMPI" labeled boxes, but custom labeled boxes for the Automotive Aftermarket. Those items in other brand names like Dorman, Help!, MOOG, Royze and many other brands are custom labeled right there in EMPI's warehouse before shipment to their high volume customers. You'd be surprised at how big a "footprint" EMPI has on this segment of the market.

But that doesn't mean they're the best in quality, even though I have yet to have an EMPI Axle Assembly go bad on me in over 10 years of using them. The purpose of this post is not to defend EMPI, but to inform others. There's some good stuff and there's some bad stuff. But all it takes is one bad report and it is assumed the "whole barrel" is garbage. Not true in most cases. And then there are those who will never be convinced as well. Hey, that's their gig :-)

When Scott at VWG/Airhead investigated about putting CV Joints and Boots in the product line over 4 years ago, he discovered that the factory in China we deal with also manufactures and supplies directly to VW, Lobro, etc. You'd be surpised at how much of the "dealer" stuff is now coming out of China in VW-Audi packaging for VOA through Germany. I've been running 4 of their CV Joints and Boots on my 84 Westy now for over 4 years and 60K without a "knock" or a "ripped" boot. And I've been running 4 of their boots on my 84 GL for a year and a half with the same results.

http://www.airheadparts.com/viewDetail.asp?idProduct=5097<http://www.airheadparts.com/viewDetail.asp?strMasterCat=&idproduct=5097>

http://www.airheadparts.com/viewDetail.asp?idProduct=5132

Not all Chinese stuff is garbage. But you do have to be aware (and beware). And take it from me, it's a lot work and heartache sometimes when QC'ing. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 73 K Ghia Coupe "Denise" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com jim@airheadparts.com *********************************** On 8/5/08, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: > > RE: EMPI and China? > Davids comments seem to imply that EMPI is a Chinese company. A good read > here: > http://www2.cal-look.com/nostalgia/risefall.html > I was using EMPI parts in the '60's and I can guarantee that they were not > coming from China then. Today many international companies are having > products produced in China but to their specs with tight quality control. > But there are also products coming out of China without the QC that is > demanded (and archived) by large customers. > BTW, for all I know the EMPI name may have been taken over (apparently has > changed hands several times in the last 40+ years) by a Chinese slave labor > plant but could find nothing to that effect with Google.