Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Aug 2008 07:04:45 -0700
From:         Mike Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [NVC] Airing trailer tires?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>
Comments: cc: Pensioner <al_knoll@pacbell.net>

On 8/5/2008 9:23 PM Dennis Haynes wrote:

> Disregard my earlier comments about trailer tires for that trailer. > You have an awful lot of tire there. I am use to small trailers having > 10-12 inch tires.

Yep, these are pretty beefy for such a little trailer. I know what you were thinking of: those little donut tires that one finds on Harbor Freight and similar trailers. I forget the size of the tires that were originally on it except that they used a size and size designation that is no longer in use these days. So I found the closest contemporary tire with similar o.d. and width, and found wheels with the same bolt pattern. In other words, these tires are very very close in size to the original ones, and pretty similar in terms of load rating.

> I doubt you will be putting 2,000 lbs on that trailer. > You should find the tire load inflation chart

Ah -- such as:

http://tinyurl.com/6lg2oy

(The top row, ST175/80R13, is my tire size)

> and at some point stop at a truck stop and have it weighed.

I'm not super familiar with truck stops and scales places, I'll keep an eye out for something suitable. I'll be heading north on I-5, the truck traffic is super heavy. I'll bet that Al Knoll might know of a place.

> My guess is that 30-35 psi will take care > of what you will carry in it.

Heck, I doubt the trailer and payload will weight more than 500 lbs combined. That's 250 lbs per tire. That's too light to be on the chart. I presume that less than 15 psi would be silly.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR