Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Aug 2008 10:56:27 -0700
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Temp 2 sensor lesson for the 5th time [rant]

This type of info is "priceless" yes some dealers have no idea.. refund sounds fair to me.

Joe

-----Original Message----- >From: Tom Myers <motmyers@HOTMAIL.COM> >Sent: Aug 6, 2008 10:27 AM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Temp 2 sensor lesson for the 5th time [rant] > >*perpare your groans here* > > >So - van starts hesitating several weeks back and finally refuses to start at work parkinglot. > >engine turns over... smell gas... looks like spark. I was very stumped - and while I always suspect > >the temp II sensor - **this time seemed very different** SO i groaned as i had it towed to the dealer. > >" i Think there is an electrical problem....I say" > >Dealer says it needs a tune up. I mention the car had a cap rotor spark plugs 2 weeks before.... > >and reply that if that is indeed the problem I will pay for it. > >[Only fair if they figured out the problem...] > >SO after $511 I skeptically pick up the van and > >predictably - 2 hours down the road - we are back to square one. > >Return to dealer with tune up bill in hand - saying "you guessed wrong!" and dealer keeps van for > >2 weeks mumbling the AFM might be bad and they might have to order one. > >I say "errr no... here is my spare" > >Dealer takes second AFM - says there is too much CO in the exhaust and severely tweaks the AFM and > >says they did the best they could and come pick it up. NO charge > >Pick up van - running worse than before + idling at 1700 RPM and limp it to Peirce automotive [ VW guys] > >an hour from home. Pierce swaps out TEmp II, undoes dealer tweaking.. car all better in errr.. .5 hour > > >So aside from being an idiot in several different ways .... my lesson is that: > > a bad Temp II sensor can have a variety of symptoms and can never be ruled out without testing. > >a 2.1 vanagon owner should always have spare Temp II's [ many are defective new!] and be able to swap it out > >in less than 60 seconds. > > >Meanwhile - with a typed out diagnosis from Pierce - I am bagging up the $511 tune up parts and mailing them > >back to the dealer for a refund. [ which i am sure will be entertaining.] > > >Sorry for the rant. I WANT MY VAN BACK. > > >Happy camping to all ! :O) > > >Tom Myers >Syracuse NY >motsvan.blogspot.com > > > > >************************* > >_________________________________________________________________ >Get more from your digital life. Find out how. >http://www.windowslive.com/default.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Home2_082008

Have a nice Day :)