Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Aug 2008 11:01:00 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why plug the dash air intake screen?
Comments: To: Oliver Mueller-Heubach <groundhogging@mac.com>

There are cables leftover from the conversion to water cooled. (Jetta)

IIRC, the one I was going to use was for the heat flaps at rear.

And lucky me. Another cable that used to control the hot air flap under ledge to cab, can be used for the heat control valve....... after I figure out the poor running scenario. (sometimes great. sometimes not so great)

Heh. "Blouse up it's nose" :^)

Neil.

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Oliver Mueller-Heubach <groundhogging@mac.com> wrote: > Yep- the van with the blouse and towel up its nose had the better seal- on > mine, the tape only covered the black plastic screen, not the gaps at the > ends. So, you are planning to run a cable through to somewhere on or under > the dash? > On Aug 6, 2008, at 12:07 PM, neil N wrote: > > Yes. I tried some foam (residential type stuff). Seems like it should > work. I planned on spraying some kind of expanding foam at each end of > opening to cover what the flap wouldn't easily cover. They're an odd > shape as I'm sure you noticed. > Cheers, > Neil. > On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Oliver Mueller-Heubach > <groundhogging@mac.com> wrote: > > Neat plan- might try that. With some flexible rubber/foam around the edge > and a spring, it should be sealable... Thanks for the pics > On Aug 6, 2008, at 11:14 AM, neil N wrote: > Prior to redoing the seals on the heat exchange box on my '81, I > stuffed paper etc. in the fresh air ram. It helped reduce air flow but > sealing the box up helped more. > A bit of an aside, I actually made a flap to control the amount of air > coming in the fresh air ram. I modified my heat exchange box to > recirculate cabin air so I wanted to control how much fresh air was > added to the mix. Plus, in theory, if no fresh air coming in, then > the fan wouldn't be spinning needlessly. I'm not sure if the fan would > spin needlessly in the stock setup. > I haven't hooked up this flap yet, but FWIW, it is possible to attach > a flap with a piano hinge. Getting it to seal? Well that's another > matter. --- ;^) > Some vague pics: > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/freshairflap > Neil. > On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Oliver Mueller-Heubach > <groundhogging@mac.com> wrote: > I noticed on the Craig's '80 parts Westy that someone crammed cloth > behind the screen inside the front grill. My own '80 Westy had, > similarly, the screen closed off with layers of black tape. Is this > something to do with non-functioning vents? Cold air in winter? Bees/ > Insects getting in? The cloth in the parts van intake made me wonder > if pouring water into the vents onto this "sponge" would create a > rudimentary swamp cooler- but mold would be insane (then again, the > cloth was more dirty than moldy..). > Also, I have one piece of card/chipboard heat-welded to the back of > my grill- the other, which there appears to have been, is gone. I > assume these are for directing air into the aforementioned intake. > 1-how much more airflow is there with both boards in place, and 2- > how have folks attached a new board when the plastic heat welds have > broken off? > Thanks! > ollie > Oliver Mueller-Heubach > groundhogging@mac.com > > > -- > Neil Nicholson '81 JettaWesty "Jaco > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > Oliver Mueller-Heubach > groundhogging@mac.com > > > > > > -- > Neil Nicholson '81 JettaWesty "Jaco > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines > http://web.mac.com/tubaneil > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > Oliver Mueller-Heubach > groundhogging@mac.com > > >