Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Aug 2008 16:45:48 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bentley wiring typo?
Comments: To: mdrillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

Thanks Mark.

I see your point. The only way I can find out if the added "coil" relay is at fault, is to leave out the fridge relay.

That would be the right way to do it. --- :^)

I like the diode idea. I'll check out the later model year diagrams. I have an '85 cluster in the basement I can look at too.

One of these days I'll get better at this electrical stuff.

Wait a minute. I am!

--- ;^)

Neil.

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 4:07 PM, mdrillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > Neil, if the fridge relay you just added is using the blue wire it might now > mask the problem of engine run-on since it would be an additional load on > the circuit like the brake bulb was. The run-on problem may disappear or > occur less frequently now but it is not solved by this either way. > > Looking at the various years diagrams in the Bentley I see they added a > diode to the blue wire circuit of the instrument cluster beginning in 1985. > They would have done this to prevent the type of problem you are having. If > the existing black wire won't carry the load in place of the added relay you > could just add the diode and keep the relay. The diode blocks the alternator > D+ from providing reverse current flow to the black wire circuit of the > ignition switch after the switch is off. > > I always upgrade my earlier vans to tachometer clusters or I would have > likely run into this problem before myself. > > Mark > > neil N wrote: