Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Aug 2008 06:16:38 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: fuel tank de-rusting
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

Alan: How did you dispose of the Lye Water?? 80 Gallons is a lot!!

DM&FS

At 09:38 PM 8/9/2008, Allan Streib wrote: >I had very good results at removing the rust from my fuel tank using >the electrolytic method. > >For explantion, google or see here.... > > http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm > >I had just about decided to buy a new tank when I discovered this >method. I had already tried cleaning the tank with a wire brush, >naval jelly, and paint stripper, the latter of which was fairly >expensive and none of which worked very well. > >For the reaction tank, I built a wooden crate big enough to hold the >gas tank vertically, with a few inches all the way around, and lined >it with a single sheet of heavy poly film (sold in rolls for use as a >moisture barrier, etc). > >For the electrolyte, I tried to find washing soda but was >unsuccessful. I used lye (NaOH), sold as drain cleaner. Careful with >this stuff, it's nasty in its pure solid form. It does not take a lot >to get the reaction going. I used about half of a 16oz bottle added >to about 70 - 80 gallons of water in my tank. > >I used some scraps of steel "strap" that I had lying around for the >anode material, and a battery charger on the 2 amp setting for the >power source. I used 4 anodes, one on each side of the crate. >Probably would have been good to have one on the bottom and top as >well, but I thought it would be easier to just rotate the tank a >quarter of a turn about halfway through the process. > >I let it sit, energized, overnight and today found that all the rust >had been removed, and the paint/undercoating had been loosened >wherever there was rust bubbling underneath, and it scraped easily >away. I removed the loosened paint with a putty knife and went over >the whole tank with a wire brush and it looks really good, no rust to >be seen anywhere. There is of course some pitting in the surface >where the rust WAS, but this process did remove all the rusty metal. > >Next steps are a good coat of rust-oleum primer, then a top coat of >rust-oleum paint, and then a spray coat of automobile undercoating. > >Just thought I'd share this, for anyone wanting to remove rust this >seems like a really good way to do it... > >It was still a lot of work, and somewhat messy, but all in all I think >it was easier, cheaper, and much more effective than manual >scraping/wire brushing, or chemical strippers. > >Was it worth it compared to the cost of a new tank? Probably not if I >consider my time, but on that basis nobody should own a Vanagon >anyway. > >Allan >-- >1991 Vanagon GL