Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Aug 2008 13:31:49 EDT
From:         David Clarkson <Dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      power window problem-searched archives, are they down Jim?

Hey vanagonauts. I've got a new problem with an old vehicle (90 Westfalia with 253k). My drivers side power window fell yesterday as I was rolling the window up. First I verified that the trusty motor was still working (yes) and then proceeded to check that the window was attached to the bracket and that the regulator had not come loose (both seem okay upon initial inspection). I then proceeded to search the Archives for any similar problems and found nothing but a dead end (done message upon trying the same search with an 8 yr. then a 2 yr. time frame with no articles displayed). This may be my own slow dial up problem but I can't find any info that I need from the archives. I also checked 2 areas of the Bentley only to find information on removing the power window motor and that the motor and the cable are one unit. The cable appears to be attached to the bottom of the regulator and the window has stayed lubricated with lithium grease on the regulator and silicone in the run channel and moves freely with no unusual noises. At the time of the failure I heard a brief grinding sound and them then window fell until it appeared to be in the almost completely down position. It will lift freely up about 3/4 of the way and then something stops it's travel. I have not completely removed either the motor or the regulator yet. My hypothesis is that the cable may have broken with the regulator stuck in the 3/4 of the way up position. Anyone out there in our Vanagon microcosm had any similar experiences with a fix or idea other than replacing the motor/cable assembly? Thank you Vanagon.com for your help here.

David Clarkson 90 Westy (253k-now subjected to water and theft infiltration until repaired)

**************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos. (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )