Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Aug 2008 10:31:59 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bentley wiring typo?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com>

And speaking of adding another point of failure....

Could the added "coil" relay somehow damage the CMP sensor (hall sender) or related part(s) on the Jetta distributor?

My conversion had poor acceleration/power when up to temp, eventually running poorly all the time. I narrowed it down to the CMP sensor (hall sender) on the distributor. (long story) Replaced the distributor (hence CMP sensor). Runs great now.

I wonder if the added "coil" relay might have damaged this sensor?

"Kickback" voltage on shut down? Poorly balanced alternator light circuit?

Hmm.....

Neil.

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > The problem is your relay is not drawing enough current for the original > circuit to work properly. Only a small current is needed to keep that > relay energized once it is pulled closed. > > A better relay with a larger coil and real spring may be better suited for > this application. I can't imagine the Jetta ignition coil needing so much > more current that the ignition switch can't handle it anyway. This may be > one of those times where fixing a problem that didn't exist caused more > harm than good. Adding a relay here also added another point of failure > and a relay welding closed can be as much of a problem as an ignition > switch failing. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: neil N [mailto:musomuso@gmail.com] > Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2008 11:53 PM > To: Dennis Haynes > Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com > Subject: Re: Bentley wiring typo? > > Thanks Dennis. > > I thought I'd reinstall the fridge relay to solve the "handbrake on, > engine off" problem. Didn't help. > > Related to all of this, I think the culprit to the "handbrake on, > engine off" scenario has been found. > > Because the stock Vanagon wire from 15 of ign. switch to the coil, is > a smaller gauge than what is used by the Jetta coil ( I installed a > 2.0 Jetta engine), I installed a relay, that is (obviously) triggered > by the stock ignition wire, to carry power from 30 to this larger wire > that goes to the Jetta coil. > > Something I failed to mention in my original post regarding this odd > problem. My bad. >