Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:22:40 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <slowmachine82@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Seeking advice for fixing many small rust spots

Vanagonauts,

My trusty '82 Westy is suffering from cancer in small spots all over the van. In the desert, where I currently live, it will take many more years to do any real damage to the van. However, I'm moving to New Hampshire next spring. I worry for the van. I have already arranged indoor storage, but I know that the rust will accellerate in the humid climate.

Photos here <http://picasaweb.google.com/slowmachine82/VanRust>

I greatly admire the restoration work that is being done by some of our list members, but I think the cost is beyond my budget. I'm looking for recommended strategy and techniques for dealing with this myself. Stripping the van and paying a professional body shop is not an option, at least not in the next 12 months. I'd like to be able to do small areas on the weekends. I'm more concerned with corrosion control than cosmetics, but I'd like the van to remain all-white while I do spot repairs. Precise color-matching of the spot repairs is not important to me.

In the past, I have attempted rust repair on other vehicles by sanding, rust converter spray, prime and paint. The rust returned every time. I have a compressor that is too small for full-on sand/media blasting, but it may be enough for one of Eastwood's spot-blasters.

I don't want this to get out of control and destroy this wonderful van. Please point me in the right direction.

-- Michael Snow 1982 Westfalia 1.9TD http://slowmachine82.blogspot.com/