Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Aug 2008 23:02:26 -0600
From:         brions cars <zion-porsche-vw@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: a vanagon trailer??

This is what has worked for me in the past. I use 5/8" or 3/4" exterior grade B-C plywood. You have to keep the moisture from getting to the wood. So, with a dry piece of plywood prime and paint it on every edge with three coats of floor and porch enamel. It must be oil or epoxy based paint. I have had very good luck by doing this and get about eight years out of my plywood. I could do better if I maintained the finish and did not abuse the boards by dropping loads of gravel from a tractor into it. If I had just a tow behind gear luggage trailer, I would do the following. Paint as above on one side plus all edges. Then I would bond with contact cement, a piece of textured aluminum sheeting on the other unpainted side. Then I would use an good quality caulk sealer to seal the piece in place. While plastic/vinyl sheeting would work in other parts of the country, my uv exposure would quickly destroy it here. I get snow, rain, cold, and extreme heat here. Pretty brutal climate.

Brion S. Zion Canyon, UT