Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Aug 2008 01:00:04 -0230
From:         Joy Hecht <hecht.joy@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: diagnosing by smell - maybe brake problem?

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 6:57 PM, neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you determine which wheel the smell is coming from?

Not sure - I'll try.

> > > Does your Westy "pull" (drift) either direction when you let go of the > wheel?

I haven't noticed - I'll look. I have driven some distance since I first noticed the smell (1200 or so miles), and haven't noticed any pull, but I will check.

> > > If it has sat idle for any length of time,

It has. And I noticed the problem when I returned from being away.

> I'd suggest looking at the > parking brake/rear shoes first. If parking brake was on for an > extended period, a shoe(s) could be stuck rubbing against a drum(s)

Oh dear, now I have to figure our how I look at that! Or maybe it's useful info to take with me to the nice (and not too expensive!) vanagon repair people here in Newfoundland.

> > > If not, other brake hardware (i.e. broken return spring) on a rear > wheel may be malfunctioning allowing a shoe, or shoes, to stay against > a drum.

Would that have an impact on the effectiveness of my brakes?

> > > Second thought is that one of the front calipers is sticking and > keeping a pad against the rotor.

Presumably any of these should be something I can feel while driving, yes? I shall pay close attention, thanks for the suggestions.

Joy