Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:24:31 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Replacement Options
Comments: To: David Kao <dtkao0205@yahoo.com>

I just went through a 2.1 rebuild, just turned the last nut on the exhaust system about five minutes ago (of course I haven't run it yet, and there's always something) and here's the rundown:

Lightly used AMC heads $400 (they passed the lacquer thinner test, where you pour lacquer thinner in the intake and exhausts ports and see any appears in the combustion chamber, so I didn't have them rebuilt) Bearings, rings and gaskets, new studs, sealants etc. $440 Used block short block (mine got too hot to re-use $75 plus $75 fuel cost to go get it--boy did I have to do a lot of work on that block--broken out alternator mount had to be welded, redrilled and tapped, ripped-out oil drain plug needed to be filled, drilled and tapped, but I didn't notice these things when I picked it up Used pistons and cylinders with almost no wear about 100 with shipping. New motor mounts 40 New lifters 80

You might need an oil pump and water pump, I lucked out. It is also a sane thing to replace the clutch plate, but mine was just about two years old so I kept it.

That's about $1200 or so, but it includes ALL new bearings. I didn't have to buy a single tool but if you don't have big sockets, breaker bars, torque wrench and engine stand, pullers, etc. you might have to spring for some. You've got to use about an 8 inch 3-saw puller to pull the cam gear and distributor gear off together to get to one of the main bearings (they are the ring type, not split, and are quite expensive and fussy to get back in the case just right) but you don't need a press to get them back on, you just heat them in an oven and they drop on.

It's taken about two months of spare time to rebuild it, but I haven't had much spare time and the work on the block set me back about a week.

Get on the list and work it for the parts you need. You'll be surprised what you can come up with.

Jim

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:42 PM, David Kao <dtkao0205@yahoo.com> wrote: > If you have a solid short block you can rebuild it at less than $1500. > A solid short block is the foundation for taking this route. > > In order for the rebuild to be successful you should replace both > cylinder heads with a set of new OEM heads. This will cost anywhere > from $800 - $1k. > > You will need to replace the cylinder/piston liner set with a new > set of Cofap liners. This will cost you about $300 or less. Thanks god > Cofap does work and work well. > > You will also need a head gasket set for about $100. > > You will need to do it yourself to save cost for paying a mechanic. > If you are not confident in doing it yourself then you need to find > a dependable experienced Vanagon mechanic to do it for you. > > I rebuilt my 1.9 last year assuming I have a solid short block. > My 1.9 WBX engine had 110K original miles. It had a solid one. > The cylinder heads were 20k+ miles new (VW OEM). I bought a > set of Cofap for about $200 and a gasket set for less than $100. I > did the work myself. > > My total cost was well within $600. My recent trips to Yosemite have > proven the success of the rebuild. If your short block is solid new > Cofap and heads will restore your WBX engine back to like new. > > This is the easiest way to go. Of course there are conversions to > choose from too. They are usually more expensive. You do get more > power out of the engine. You will have to decide if you need extra > power for the Syncro. > > David > > > --- Jon Rizzo <the_rizzos@MAC.COM> wrote: > >> I feel I am at an impasse regarding the replacement of the engine my >> syncro westy. I am definitely on a pretty tight budget (under4000) but >> don't want to cut corners that will only cost me money later. I have >> have spent the last month researching options. I have narrowed it down >> to three choices and I would love to have the opinions of this board. >> >> 1) rebuilt wbx motor, I know bus depot has them available but I am >> unsure about their rebuilder even after speaking with them on the >> phone. I can't get Boston Bob to return my phone calls soo... cost >> 1800-2800 plus my labor >> >> 2) used 2.2, smallcar parts kit. I have a neighbor with a 92 legacy >> that could part out to save some money, but I am nervous about the >> wiring part even though I have some experience in that area. cost >> 2450-3450 plus my labor, minus what I could part out the legacy wagon >> for. >> >> 3) used 2wd vanagon with a 2.2 conversion already in place that I >> could then part out and recoup some of my money. This seems to be my >> best option as I could drive the van and could make sure all the parts >> work together and who doesn't need more spare parts around? cost >> 3000-3500 >> >> Let me know what you think. >> >