Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:46:18 +1000
From:         Dave Yates <transparu@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aircooled transmission into water cooled van- AUTOMATIC
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@gmail.com>

G'day Craig,

As I understand it, the reason the cooler was added to the later (i.e.water cooled) vehicles was that the energy being dissipated in the fluid was too great to be cooled in the "non-cooler" fashion. The fluid gets too hot, probably damaging the fluid and thus then the friction clutches. The water cooled engines are more powerful, hence the problem. It IS possibe to drill and tap the housing of the "aircooled" auto and route hoses to a suitable cooler, but that would involve dismantling the transmission to ensure cleanliness inside. Inside, the two transmissions are essentially identical.

There is ONE issue of which to be aware. The shaft on the 2nd gear band piston of the "aircoooled" is held in the piston by a circlip. This circlip can break, not uncommonly according to my guru, (did in mine) and this can destroy the piston, cylinder or both. That is probably fatal to the transmission and comes about because an early 1980s auto transmission is old! The later models had the steel shaft permanently fixed into the aluminium piston.

The answer to your question is YES, you can run that transmission in your vehicle, but be aware that it is a less than ideal pathway.

Dave downunder PS I put an '86 auto into my '82 Van and then eventually had to rebuild that one anyway.

PPS Be aware that the kickdown lever is a little different between the two transmissions