Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:04:01 -0400
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 7.5 mm fuel injection hose OK?
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@cs.indiana.edu>

Sorry I misunderstood that the person selling the hose was saying it was fine for the application. Don't misunderstand me. My point is that the stock size is the right size. It goes on as snugly as the original designers of the system thought was best. Not too tight, not too loose. I have no experience using 7.5mm hose or 8mm hose for that matter since I decided long ago to go with the stock hose, German manufacture so that I could do this job once and not worry about it again for another five years or so. We sell our hose as a kit with detailed instructions written for the novice by someone who has been doing this for over ten years now. If you want to get some hose here and some clamps over there and then hope that everything will work out OK in the end that is fine. If you want to benefit from my experience with this problem then you should get the kit from me. That is the way I see it. Does that mean that you can't do a good job on your own? Or course not, this is not rocket science. However I have seen so many botched attempts at doing this job (from both novices and shops) that I can't just say that experience doesn't matter. It does. In the Vanagon world it can make all the difference.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Allan Streib wrote: > Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> writes: > > >> The 7mm hose pushes on and squeezes onto any fittings that are in >> the system. It is such a nice fit that many times, even without a >> clamp, unless you put side pressure on the hose, it will not leak. >> I am not sure why anyone would want to sell a 7.5mm hose for this >> application. If the customer had an engine fire as a result I would >> sure hate to be the vendor that was assuring them that 7.5mm hose >> would be "just fine". >> > > The vendor did no such thing. In fact they said they had no idea if > it would be fine. They do have the 7mm x 3mm German hose but for some > reason only sell it in 20 meter rolls which is WAY more than I need. > They sell the 7.5mm German hose in 5 meter lengths which is much > closer. > > One of the other well known vendors on this list sells 8mm BMW hose > for this application and so I thought perhaps 7.5 mm would be OK. I > recall reading that the original 7mm is a VERY tight fit. > > Allan >