Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Aug 2008 06:03:04 -0700
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Bostig Zetec in my Dehler Syncro 16
Comments: To: syncro16 <Syncro16@yahoogroups.com>, syncrolist@yahoogroups.com

Dear all: Jim & Brady at Bostig.com dissuaded me from posting this during my initial enthusiasm with this engine conversion, but now after 6,500 kilometers, I feel that the initial enthusiasm has worn off and that I can give a reasoned opinion re my experience.

This engine is GREAT! I read MUCH about the both the Subaru and the Zetec engines, and what lead me to Bostig's Zetec were: 1) it's a world engine, 2) it's an inexpensive, yet great engine, 3) the computer engine management & engine customization, 4) the simplicity 5) the reputation of Bostig's Jim & Brady. The Zetec engine had fewer than 1,000 kms on it, when I got it (exhaust ports were still clean).

After 6,517 kms, and 756 liters of regular fuel for driving from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Harbor Springs, Michigan and back (twice), the fuel economy is 11.6 Liters/100 kms or about 20.25 MPG. This is pushing a loaded (for camping) Syncro16 Dehler camper van. The driving was a mixture of 2 lane roads and 4 lane highways. The best I got was 8.6 L/100kms (27 mpg) and the worst was 13 L/100 kms (18 mpg). This is a function of how fast I go! Keep in mind that I'm 62 years old and drive with a VERY light foot and I have the engine computer tuned to economy (not power) and the tyres are at maximum allowed pressure.

This new engine certainly changes the personality of the van, I no longer fear that this is the last revolution of the water-boxer engine, and I can actually keep up with traffic when I want to, and PASS the occasional slower car or truck. The engine is very smooth and quiet. The van still slows down on long, steep inclines, but the Bostig turbo set-up should take care of that.

So, I'm 100% satisfied with Bostig and the Zetec engine. Any questions, feel free to ask. Malcolm 1989 Dehler Syncro 16 with a Reimo camper package inside.