Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:33:08 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Custom exhaust repair questions. PICS

Hi all.

A 500 KM + test run in my VanaJetta yielded 2 cracks in my exhaust. Ironically, one where the pro welded. I think me modifying the 90* bend to fit didn't help. Though I annealed it before bending it more, I'm sure I hardened the metal more in the process (it was cold rolled).

Pics:

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/tempexhaustcracks

"S" and "E" show where I think one crack started/ended. The other is along ~ 1/4 of bottom part of weld where pipe meets flange. It's hard to capture in photo. Of note, the gasket at this flange is now leaking too.

What's the best way to repair this?

Remove it, go to exhaust shop and have them fabricate or patch/fix this? Could they get the angles/dimensions the same? I assume bringing in the vehicle would be best.

I know a redesign of the primaries/collector is warranted, but I really don't want to allocate time to doing this myself. I can't imagine what a custom shop would charge for this.

I could try to repair it myself, but the cracks are in a tight "space" and the flange is thicker than my welder will handle. I guess I could grind down the weld at the flange, reweld, and then patch the crack on the pipe itself. Suggestions are more than welcome on this procedure.

I need this area to be supa strong, and I'm not so trusting that an exhaust shop would get this aspect right, so listers experience is most welcome.

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 JettaWesty "Jaco http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines http://web.mac.com/tubaneil http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/