Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:26:24 -0500
From:         Andrew Philbrick <herrschildkrote@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hydraulic valve adjustment question
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>

Hey Jim,

When I reset the valves on my Air Cooled Vanagon motor, I set them to 1.5 turns past contact to preload them - as to Richard Atwell's suggestion. From what I found, every person has their own doctrine and there is no serious harm if you do not have it set at exactly 2 turns (or 1.5 or 1....). I have driven that motor about 500 miles (from the fresh rebuild) and haven't had a problem with valve timing.

As for the valve timing order, i believe it is in reverse order of firing starting with 1 (i.e 1-2-3-4). make sure you are turning the motor the correct way (counter clockwise on an air cooled) because she'll run funny if you set the #2 cylinder valves on the #4 firing location.

andrew

Jim Felder wrote: > Bentley says set valves on number 1 cylinder, then rotate 180 and do > the next cylinder. Somebody let me know if the rest of the sequence is > anything but the firing order. > > Bentley says two turns of the adjusting screw to preload the lifter. > Seems I've read (and used) one turn as espoused by some on The List. > > What's recommended? > > Thanks, > > Jim > >