Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:58:12 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Advice needed for cross-country trip
Comments: To: TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>

WELL Ellen.......... I'm sure you know the KISS principle. ( keep it simple stupid ) . here's all I would have- a cell phone and a laptop. I have US Cellular - I can talk to any of the 50 states like it was a local call ........like Alaska is the same as calling across the street, and it's not an expensive plan at all, and I've never run over minutes.

Then with a laptop ..........both my ( wasn't very good ) Toshiba and now my Dell Laptop..........can pick up a wireless signal lots of places, outside many businesses, at truck stops etc. .......wifi is getting so ubiqutous that you can get a signal in all kinds of places. Heck, I even have wifi available to anyone in the neighborhood of my shop.

that gives you good phone .........cell phones work more and more places all the time. a lots of free internet access.

as for GPS ........lol - I know where I am all the time ! I don't need one, not even slightly. There are many great internet map services of course., lately I use yahoo maps, and what's so great about that map service, and many .......you just write in a street addess, or the name of a lake and the provice or state............and in 5 seconds you are looking at a map showing it, and you can zoom in and out , get the bigger picture, the close-in detail picture etc. So convenient. I don't even bother to memorize street names too much ..........but when I need to know where some street address is , I just write in at yahoo maps.............it couldn't be easier. Same for a town name, a lake, a park, etc. FlashEarth is a trip too. Satelite images. I can actually see a satelite image of my shop/barn with a vanagon or two parked around it. And .......it gives you the GPS coordiantes too.......one handly way of getting pack to that very same image. But I've not yet found the actaul need for a GPS. Just more geek gadgetry I think. More to keep your head buried in instead of watching the road or earth's real beauty. scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "TJ Hannink" <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:43 PM Subject: Re: Advice needed for cross-country trip