Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:03:43 -0400
From:         Karl Ploessl <karl.ploessl@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Are Today's Young People Mechanical Nitwits?
Comments: To: Ed Lloyd <elloyd10@comcast.net>

yes and no. Compared to a vanagon or an old beetle or even an old rabbit or a mid 90 car (like my old 1994 Mazda Protege), the new cars are tight in the engine compartment for changing lights (I know it doesn't apply to vanagons etc). On my 2000 Jetta VR6 it is possible to change light bulbs w/o taking anything off but you have to have small hands and finger strength. The easiest and fastest way is to take the front bumper off (seriously). On a friends car which is a 2000 Hyundai Elantra you have to take out the battery. I have not found any other way to unclip the bulb holder (and even then you need a contorted hand).

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Ed Lloyd <elloyd10@comcast.net> wrote:

> I too have been living the Vanagon Experience during my 20+ years of > driving my 87 Westy, and before that a 76 Westy. > > My daughter just bought a sporty little 20004 Mazda 3, and I looked into > the Driver's Manual, and did a double take on this: > > "Front Turn Signal Lights - Due to the complexity and difficulty of the > procedure, the bulbs should be replaced by an Authorized Mazda Dealer." > > Same for the Fog lights, and side marker lights. They do show pictures and > procedures, which amount to unscrewing the plastic housings and gently > twisting and pulling out the bulbs. Installation is the reverse. > > Low beam Xenon bulb may be more of a problem. "You cannot replace the low > beam bulbs by yourself. Must be replaced at an Authorized Dealer." OK, > there may be some high voltage and disposal risk here. > > Oil change, and perhaps Air Filter, and that is the complete list of what > an owner can do by themselves! Everything else is Dealer. > > I also noted that the Windshield washer reservoir has a light on the dash > board to tell you when the washer fluid is low. I have never found this to > be a problem in my Vanagon. When it starts to dribble out, then you just > add more! > > this is a sporty car for young people, not a big "Luxury" car for pampered > fat cats. Her friends all seem to know how to work the CD player and > electronic gadgets installed, but seem clueless about the mechanicals. > > End of Rant by crusty old guy. >

-- Karl 1981 VW Westy "Jenny" 2000 VW Jetta GLS VR6 Wilmington, DE