Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:25:56 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Custom exhaust repair questions. PICS
Comments: To: Chris S <szpejankowski@gmail.com>

Oh no. I won't give up. It drives really nice now except for a couple of *minor* details

(like it needs another engine mount..... I can feel a bit of movement in the gas pedal. i.e. when driving in 1st..... Conveniently there could be a way to use the Jetta bracket/mount at pulley end of engine. Just need to make a bracket between the rubber mount on it and the DV mount holes on frame....)

And yes. Soon with the 30/50!

Thanks,

Neil.

2008/8/14 Chris S <szpejankowski@gmail.com>: > Neil > > I was not able to look at the pics for some reason.. I'm getting "Problem > loading page". It seems the server is taking too long to respond. > > But, I see that Jim chimed in with his observations and that you have some > ideas. :-) > > Don't give up! (and don't forget the 30-50 challenge while you're at it) > > Chris S. > > > > 2008/8/13 neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> >> >> Hi Chris. >> >> Yes there is a flex joint installed (albeit a shorter one): >> >> >> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ExhaustBushin.jpg/ExhaustBushin-full;init:.jpg >> >> I suspect it was due to heat/vibration affecting the 90* cold rolled >> pipe I "persuaded" to fit. i.e. I annealed it prior to working it, but >> maybe "cherry" red wasn't hot enough. (working with "brazing" propane >> fuel). Plus I didn't re-anneal it after working it. >> >> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/Pipes2.jpg/Pipes2-full;init:.jpg >> >> And FWIW, I made two braces and installed them between the muffler and >> engine: >> >> >> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ExhaustSupports.jpg/ExhaustSupports-full;init:.jpg >> >> Do you think this all kept the vibrations down to an acceptably low level? >> >> Thanks, >> >> Neil. >> >> 2008/8/13 Chris S <szpejankowski@gmail.com>: >> > Neil, >> > >> > maybe this is from vibrations? Do you have a flex joint installed in >> > your >> > exhaust system? >> > >> > http://www.artsautomotive.com/WeldInFlexJoint.jpg >> > >> > Chris. >