Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:22:24 -0700
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Advice needed for cross-country trip
Comments: To: jhecht@alum.mit.edu

Joy Hecht <hecht.joy@gmail.com> wrote: Does your cell service include unlimited phone calls too?

Yes

Are all phone calls local?

Yes Can you use it as a modem any place where you have cellphone service? Yes Does it simply connect to the internet via wifi, or do you have to have an ISP to dial into? It works like a dial-up modem, it doesn't use Wi-Fi. I have no interest in accessing the internet over a cellphone, but if it's a good connection to the internet via your computer, that's interesting. How fast is it? The EDGE connect speed is around 220kbs. You can get DSL type speed when you are in a 3G coverage area which includes most metropolitan areas.

Its nice to be able to access the web via my phone - I can check email anytime and not carry my laptop around with me everywhere. The small keyboard is a bit of a problem, but it is functional. I do most of my online banking with it. And does it work in Canada at that price? Couldn't say; I am about as far from Canada as you can get in the continental US. I actually pay $120 US for two phones; my daughters phone also has unlimited internet access, unlimited text messaging and unlimited phone service. As for GPS - it's your preference. Myself, I'm rather fond of maps, but obviously lots of folks like GPS. My phone has an optional GPS antenna and an internal software package to make it a fully functional GPS if I chose to. I find it easier to use the web browser and Yahoo!Maps or GoogleEarth.

The phone also has a streamlined version of MS Office so I can use it (and have used it) for work documents. It syncs to my laptops Outlook when it is docked as a modem so I always have my full calender, address book and notes with me. It also does .PDF's with a version of Adobe Acrobat.

I lived in my RV for a year and have used this setup for two years. Now I have a place, but this setup works great for me, especially when I travel. I have a 2GB miniSD card in it with a bunch of tunes on it so it works like an MP3 player also. Any of the songs can be used as a ring tone - my current one is the Simpsons show theme song which I downloaded off the web with the phone :>)

The speakerphone feature works well as does the Bluetooth - it autoconnects to my car stereo when I get in the car using an external mic and the cars speakers for phone conversations.

The only thing I wish it could do is function as a Sirius satellite receiver; I don't quite have enough bandwidth to stream Sirius off the web.

Good luck,