Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Aug 2008 13:26:00 -0700
From:         Evan Mac Donald <vanagon_dad@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Are Today's Young People Mechanical Nitwits?

In all of the discussion of this topic, there is are points to be remembered - much of what we are worried about is "being a veterinarian to a dinosaur". It was mentioned that it has been generally discouraged in our younger folks, to be poking around in things mechanical. We (older folks, that is) had the advantages of simpler machines, and simpler TIMES.

Mechanicals: The connection between a carburetor and it how it works is fairly simple, in principle. You can look down the throat, and see if its wet. If it is, it works, sort of, mostly. EFI, not so. The same kind of situation exists for a point ignition. Parts you can see move, and figure out the relations. Breakerless electronic ignition, no way. By its own nature, progress has discouraged fiddling, and general mechanical merriment.

Times: There was not a concern that a cup of hot coffee spilled in your own lap would lead to a lawsuit against the seller of the coffee. This is just a single example of a big difference in how things are viewed.

More important than any of the specialized knowledge, though, is the mental training needed. Rational, logical thought processes, and deductive reasoning skills are being neglected more and more, it seems, so that "politically correct" options can be indulged. Whatever the subject, you should always try to apply some rational thought to it, and see where you are, where you want to go, and how do you wish to get there. Will the price you must pay be worth the result? Learning is a process, not an end result.

For most of us, the "mechanical" part is secondary to keeping our beloved Vanagons (or loaves, or splitties...) up to the tasks we ask of them. The whole thing is for that goal.

O.K. I guess I have been on my soapbox for long enuff...