Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:37:28 -0700
From:         honemastert <honemastert@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fryeday Content.. some GM trivia and news on the VOLT (NVC)

** On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:28:00 -0700 Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> writes:**

Scott,

> thanks for the Battery CZAR thing. > is that your work ? or just something you've forwarding .

There's also the guys at Tesla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Motors

Re: My work?

Nope, I'm am an IEEE member but my work is with what's called "EDA" (Electronic Design Automation) Software. Company is called Synopsys. http://www.synopsys.com

About a 20 year old firm. We were the first to write a 'compiler' that translated a program description of a digital logic circuit (Written in a language called 'Verilog") into essentially a netlist (schematic)

Prior to that, it was done painstakingly by hand.

In a few years, the output of a digital logic designer exploded from say 1500 to 10 thousand gates to hundreds of thousands and now routinely over millions of logic elements due to use of a software program called 'Design Compiler' This new technology was called 'logic synthesis'. Today, DC has about 85% market share in this space.

I work on a specific product (Applications Engineer) called VCS (Verilog Compiled Simulator) which IC designers use to prove out their designs prior to even running synthesis.

You think of writing a computer program, then compiling it and testing it. Same process applies, except you're looking at digital timing waveforms, logic elements, state machines etc: Think traffic light controller, alarm clock, etc: at the most fundamental level but then multiply that a thousand or million fold.

USB, 802.11x (WiFi Wireless routers) GPS signals, Cell phones (really just glorified radios) Hard Disk controllers, Bluetooth, Digital Cameras, Video, HDTV etc:

These things are all digital by nature, although the wireless technologies are using an analog signal to "carry" the digitally coded information.

The processing power to decode HDTV signals didnt even exist 10 years ago, in a reasonable form factor, or at a reasonable price.

Now we're working on HDTV for cell phones.

GPS for the masses.. wasnt really there at an affordable price until a few years ago.

So that USB memory stick you use, to that bluetooth wireless headset, to that cell phone, to that GPS receiver, to that mp3 player, to that PC or Mac, to that HDTV set, to that gaming system. Pretty much all those products have probably used Synopsys software in one way or another on their way from concept, to design, to shipping product.

Batteries in general are more the electro/chemist's domain, but the control, delivery of the power, and the charging are all done under microprocessor, or microcontroller control, which are indirectly affected.

I like Spectrum magazine, they have really interesting, and technicallly well researched articles. Not too overwhelming, but also not so lame as to be non-interesting to us Enginerd types.

> mainly thanks for the Denise Gray Battery CZAR thing. > I like reading what's going on in the US car industry......the more inside > side of the story.

no problem.. glad you liked it!

Women in general, in engineering are few and far between.. it's an intensely male dominated arena. My wife is a former EE (Motorola) as well. She gets more satisfaction out of staying home and hanging with the kids, somedays I secretly want to trade with her, but on other days.. when I'm 'geeking' out on some new project, no way ! :-)

-tim

90 Syncro Westy Gilbert, AZ http://www.timschneider.org