Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Aug 2008 23:47:33 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Black Paint for Mirrors..AND bumpers
Comments: To: Mike Elliott <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

Automotive paints also have metalics and pearls in them, modern day "paint" when ready to go on the car, is a mixture of a bunch of different things (like a splash of pigment, a dash of metalic, a cup of reducer, etc etc etc) and is all done by computer these days. Pigments alone are (and historically have been) expensive depending upon the color. I believe Red has always been the most expensive, and is generally applied the thinnest on modern cars (you can actuall get a 2008 car with a red paint so thin, you can see the primer through it in the right light!), and black being the cheapest (Good PPG Black i think is $40/gallon!). White i believe is cheap as well. It all adds up though when you start adding metalic, pearl, etc etc etc. I've seen modern vehicles such as Lexus(s) with a "Tri Coat", essentially 3 different colors piled atop eachother and then clear coated. If not done just right, it looks like crap. And it's almost impossible to replicate "just right", so those cars often have poor paint matching when repaired.

As far as "good Prep" goes, SCRATCH IT UP! You want a clean surface with zero grease or wax (meaning if you so much as touch it, it's been corrupted), and it has to be scuffed up to help the paint adhere. Your paint should be thin enough or leveling enough to fill in said scratches, and the scratches should also be thin enough. Something such as a soft or ultra soft scotchbrite pad does well, or something along the lines of 320-400 grit sandpaper. Then, go over it with a good solvent. Heck even gasoline works, or rubbing alcahol, but you want something that leaves no residue and cleans up the dust and any impurities you left on the surface. Handle with care, and then paint. Even regular black spray paint varies in quality. The $25/can bodyshop grade products are REALLY, that much nicer. Self leveling, solid, fast drying, and very rust proof paints as apposed to your generic "enamel" you get at the dollar store.

This is the stuff you learn, working as a prepper at a body shop for a few months....

-Craig