Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Aug 2008 22:07:44 -0400
From:         Edward Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Got my Vitrifrigo installed

OK, I finally have a minute to do a short write-up on the installation of my Vitrifrigo. I don't have any pics now, but you get the idea if you've seen pictures of Karl's or others who have done it. All in all, I'm happy with it, especially its functionality. Right now, it basically looks like Karl's, but without a grate on the bottom. I followed Karl's instructions from his website. I had a few minor problems, though. After wquaring off the upper corners, I had to trim the old surround/opening in front several times, all the way around. I first tried a file, then went to the Dremel. I then had to further enlarge the opening just where the faceplace mounting screws were. It just fit front to back after I trimmed enough of the wood on the back wall. I moved the 110 volt outlet and flush mounted it on the back wall rather than facing the fridge where it originally was. I didn't have to change the fitting on the city water intake as some have done. Someone mentioned they put a 90 degree connector there, but I already had one. It was a tight fit against it, but it fit. I also added a lighted switch for the 12vdc power. I put it just up to the left of the drawer under the sink. This way, instead of having to turn the thermostat all the way off when I'm not using it, and back on every time I camp, I can just flip my switch when I go camping. This also allows me to keep the door open to air it out without having the light on. The switch is lighted so I can be reminded when it is on, in case I forget to shut it off. I have the ac/dc model, and I leave it plugged into the outlet under the sink. Whenever I camp with ac power, the fridge will switch to the ac from the battery. I see that the instruction manual mentions changeable front panels. Later on I might look into getting or making a panel to match my '85 interior. It was so nice on my trip to Whitby, Ontario to Buses of the Corn, not to have to carry a separate cooler because my Dometic wasn't working on propane. I know, I could have tried ot fix that, but I like the reliability and ease of use of the Vitrifrigo. The Vitrifrigo is a good deal. It seems to be the same size and design as the Truckfridge (sold by the same company), Waeco, and Isotherm. All use the Danfoss compressor. The advantage to the Isotherm is they have the ASU technology, which "charges" a cold plate when you're running off the alternator, to save battery power when you're not. But you can't beat the price of the Vitrifrigo from Commercial Products, especially if you can forego the 110 volt option. Oh, and about that extra open space on the bottom- I wanted to install a grate like Karl had in his website pics, but I couldn't find one the right size. Home Depot had some generic aluminum in various patterns to use, for example, as a radiator cover, but I thought it was too expensive for the amount I needed. Then I considered pegboard, painted to match my cabinets, but I didn't want to have to buy a 4 by 8 sheet. I kept the original metal at the bottom of the Dometic, and I"m going to put some flexible plastic at the bottom just to cover the extra space. That way I'll still have the lowest part for ventilation. I made a few other changes before my last camping trip which I'll cover in another post. Ed Duntz in CT _________________________________________________________________ Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger. Find out how. http://www.windowslive.com/explore/messenger?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_messenger_yahoo_082008