Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:31:40 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's the strangest think you've found in a "new" Vanagon
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <hecht.joy@gmail.com>

OK, this is about a bus, but that's close. The strangest thing I think I ever found was in a 1964 split window bus that I owned twice. The second time I owned it, I found a pair of vise grips hanging from the clutch cable that I had used to adjust it--remember that butterfly nut under there?--the first time I owned it.

I bought my 90 new so there was nothing to find in it. My diesel westy came with a bunch of doper stickers inside the cabinet doors that had to be scraped off. I had never noticed the most blatant of them (inside the rear cabinet with shelves) when I had the van at my local shop with a question. I opened it to pull out the Bentley and the owner saw them and looked at me and said "well!...." with a big grin.

Jim

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Joy Hecht <hecht.joy@gmail.com> wrote: > My sister and brother-in-law have an '82 vanagon (VC) and an old bug that > doesn't run. When their kids were younger they regularly had "paint the > bug" parties, sent the kids out with poster paints and let them decorate the > bug however they liked. In due course it washed off in the rain and snow, > then when the next birthday came around another bunch of kids would have a > chance to paint it. > > After the kids got older they used the bug to store logs for their wood > stove, placed conveniently right outside the door to the house. And then > they towed it up onto a mound in a nearby field (they live way out in the > country) and decorated it with Christmas lights. It has become a local > landmark - occasionally shows up in photographs showing the quirky things > people do in upstate NY. > As for things found in vans - a horseshoe in mine. I'm guessing it was from > the first owner, in Texas - somehow the Palestinian accountant in suburban > Richmond, VA didn't seem like the type to have horses! > > > Joy > > > On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 3:17 AM, Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@comcast.net> wrote: > >> Crayon "art" on the pop top above the upper bunk that was revealed after >> popping the top. Pink butterfly's, squiggly-creatures, zodiacal-circles, all >> from the children of the man I got the van from. Easy to clean off but kind >> of a little "trip" to imagine just how much fun they must have had, making >> the van their very own that way. Took me back to when my own daughters were >> little tykes and doing the same thing on "secret canvases" of their >> choosing. >> >> bob >> '87 Syncro Westy ... artistically-embellished >> > > > > -- > ******************************************************************* > Dr. Joy E. Hecht > Consultant on Environmental Policy and Information > > Email: jhecht@alum.mit.edu > Phone: 1-202-494-1162 > URL: http://www.joyhecht.net > > ******************************************************************* >