Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Aug 2008 18:42:09 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 running again, thanks, list!
Comments: To: mdrillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

I'm talking about lifting the vanagon rear end enough to lower the motor--with a hoist hanging from a saw horse sitting over the back hatch--and lowering it to the floor. Sounds like we're all doing the same thing, just a bit differently. I have to get my motor from the garage hoist to the car on a furniture dolly, so I have just figured out how to lift the van high enough to accommodate the motor and the dolly. The plywood with broomsticks is a good idea. If I had not had to make a trip to a store for a bag of marbles, I was going to use marbles. They would be omnidirectional--not that it matters once the engine is off the ground.

I did use a block and tackle so I could fore-and-aft the engine with one hand while I used the hoist for up-and-down.

Jim

Jim

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 5:56 PM, mdrillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > I agree, lifting from above has too many advantages to go back to floor > jacks. I built my first version to do it that way about 10 years ago and > I still use it. > I have 4 floor jacks and a tranny jack but for engine > removal/installation the hoist method is preferred. > > Another thing I use is a piece of plywood about 2' x 4'. I put 2 holes > near one short edge and put a rope handle into those holes. This is > what I lower the engine down onto. Then I pull the wood with engine out > from under the van with the rope handle. I put the engine back the same > way but I use some broom stick pieces under the plywood to help roll the > engine/plywood back into place. The end of the plywood with the rope > should be as far from the engine as practical to help with sliding the > wood. Lowering the engine onto any kind of cart requires the vehicle to > be raised higher than just a piece of plywood does. > > My device is more like a sawhorse with room below it for a come-a-long > type hoist. The added height is required for some Vanagon engines though > not waterboxers. My sawhorse is made of square steel tubing. > > > Mark > > The Westy man wrote: >> >> Amaizing how little recognition that simple device I made, to take out >> and >> istall the engine to make it a joy, received. And for me to read about >> double jacks and all kind of obvious struggles with platforms and what >> not, >> is really a puzzle why most don't realized the simplicity without lifting >> the car both sides. >> Well, we are not all the same, I guess. I went through my struggles >> myself >> too. >> Zoltan >> >