Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Aug 2008 07:10:17 -0700
From:         Mike Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Are Today's Young People Mechanical Nitwits?
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

But a brilliant stream of consciousness. There may have been transistors in those radios that did nothing, but I distinctly remember there being several transistors being used merely as diodes, with the collectors not connected. I recall the smell of tube radios, with their phenolics and waxes, and remember trailing Dad to the local drugstore to test tubes. If a bad tube was found, the store manager appeared to open the cabinet that the tester sat upon and, after fishing around inside for a few moments, pulled out the replacement tube with a flourish.

How the flourish got into the cabinet in the first place has always puzzled me.