Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 2008 05:04:38 -0700
From:         Ellen <elleninoregon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: First camping trip!
Comments: To: pbrattan@gmail.com

Hi Patti, What you take depends on the type of campsite. If you have electrical hookups at the campsite, bring a portable electric heater and use your dometic on electric setting. You've paid for that electricity in the price of your campsite, and you might as well use it. Dry camping, of course, you have to rely on propane. I don't have a Dometic in Lola, only a two-way (12V DC/120V AC) Norcold. I have had good luck using Blue Ice 'weekender size' blue ice in the refrigerator. Put one in the freezer compartment, one in the drip tray underneath. I leave the refrigerator on max setting while I'm driving, then turn it off when I get to the campsite. A cooler is more efficent, but adds to the stuff you have to bring. I know many who use them though, and use the Dometic for dry storage. I've only used Mr. Buddy original, and even on low setting he will drive you out of the van. Very efficient heat! On low, a portable bottle will run 6 hours. The Coleman might be a more efficient choice. Did you know Mr. Buddy has a similar product now? http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=338 I turn it off when I go to bed.A fleece sleeping bag inside your regular sleeping bag will increase your comfort and do away with the zipper drafts. Not afraid to wear thermals, clothes, etc. to bed either, if it's going to be cold. I've gone down to 32 degrees this way. I know you live in California (I used to as well, many years ago) it's true you aren't as tolerant of cold weather as when you live in a colder climate. This is one of those very individual needs that you will have to prepare for. Sounds like you're going to have a great time! I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back. Don't forget to have fun! That's the most important thing to take. Ellen & Lola, '85 Vanagon ASI Don't wait for a light to appear at the end of the tunnel; stride down there.....and light the bloody thing yourself.' ~Dara Henderson

Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:22:55 -0700From: pbrattan@gmail.comTo: elleninoregon@hotmail.comSubject: Re: First camping trip!CC: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Thanks for all of your replies. Now I have a few questions. I'm looking at the Mister Heater Portable Buddy, vs the Coleman Black Cat. Of course I'd love to have a built in furnace, but am not ready to spend that amount right now. Can I get some insight as to which is a better choice? I am extremely sensitive to the cold, and can't sleep at all if it's less than 70 degrees (!), so I just want to make sure I have a heater if needed. I understand the temperature at the campsite goes down to 55 at night. I know that a 1 lb cartridge only lasts 4-6 hours with the Buddy, and lasts about twice as long with the Black Cat. I also know that the Buddy has a higher amount of BTU's than the Black Cat. We have an extra 20 lb propane tank, and will probably bring it if we get the Buddy. Can the Black Cat also be used with a 20 lb tank? I like the compactness of the Black Cat, but I like the low oxygen safety shutoff pilot on the Buddy. And I'd like to choose a heater that will heat the Westy in VERY cold weather.About the Dometic...I haven't tried it out, yet, and don't know if I will. Should I try to use it as an ice chest by filling it with ice cubes? Would dry ice work better? Or should I use it as a cabinet and just bring an ice chest? I would eventually like to replace the Dometic with something more efficient.Thanks again.Patti90 Westy Automatic _________________________________________________________________ Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you. Find new ways to share. http://www.windowslive.com/explore/photogallery/posts?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Photo_Gallery_082008