Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:50:52 -0700
From:         Gary Bawden <goldfieldgary@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: First camping trip!
Comments: cc: pbrattan@gmail.com

Hi Patti,

As a multiple owner of non-Westy Vanagons, I am very familiar with camping using ice chests. So if you've decided not to use the Dometic, by all means, get an ice chest. Use ice (block ice is preferred over cubes), not dry ice, unless you like ice cream, in which case get a second "el cheapo" model made of styrofoam and use that one for the dry ice and whatever you want to keep frozen. Head down the the local Kwiky-Mart and eyeball the size of a block of ice, then get an ice chest that will hold the block plus whatever else you're planning to take. On packing the ice chest: put all the heavy stuff like cans and jars on the bottom, and if you get one with a rack or tray, put all the stuff you don't want to get wet on that, or if you can't get one with a rack, just put it all in large (1 gallon or larger) zip lock bags. Make sure the drain hole doesn't drip, and don't go draining the ice-melt water from the ice. Your stuff will stay cooler longer if you retain the icy water rather than draining it out all the time. And don't forget to secure the ice chest while you're driving!

Enjoy your trip!

Gary