Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:17:43 -0700
From:         Evan Mac Donald <vanagon_dad@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: some guidance please, 86 autotrans troubles

AH-HA! Someone else has had their band spring open! The main difficulty with re-installing the piston and its' pushrod is that the point on the band, where it should be making contact, isn't there any more. The second gear band pops open much farther, and can not be reached any more by the piston pushrod. DO not panic, though, nothing is broken, it is just out of alignment / position. To fix this is very simple, but it will require the valve body be dropped. If you feel up to that mechanical feat, holler back. Otherwise, it will be trans shop time. The bands' end just can't be pulled back into position, it needs to be held while the pusrod is re-installed.

Ask me how I know....;^P

Hector Zapata <hlzapata@GMAIL.COM> wrote: According to Bentley, your talking about the second gear brake band piston, and you need tool VW281a, and the caption says 'press down piston and install clip'. Your idea could work, so goos luck.

-- Héctor 1990 Carat 'Ursula'