Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:35:22 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine repair or replacement?
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

Here are the tools you will need. I know because I just put mine away:

Hoist, hoist mechanism (good one has been mentioned, I use a saw horse--write me for a picture) Jack and stands as has been mentioned. Torque wrench that reads up to 37 pounds. Bentley manual for reference. A must unless you have someone's detailed instructions. half-inch 17mm socket 6 inch half-inch extension 10, 12, 13 and 17 mm 3/8 drive sockets Harbor Freight or better long ball-socket hex wrench, also a short set. Very important. Stubby 3/8 ratchet Nine inch 3/8 ratchet 3, 6 and 12 inch 3/8 extensions 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 (need this only for valve adjustment and 17 combination wrenches 13mm and 17mm wobble or U-joint socket, can get by without the 17. Wonderbar type pry bar Gas pump pliers or, better, spring clamp pliers for hose clamps Stud remover, or else know how to remove studs using two jam nuts together Combination screwdriver Small pick or hook set is handy but small screwdriver will do. Vaseline to stick the aluminum 0-rings into the heads so they don't fall out Rubber hammer Ball pein hammer

New exhaust gaskets 2 head gasket sets Right Stuff Permatex sealant Yellow bolt head sealant (comes with your gasket set, keep it and throw away the head sealant stuff)

Something to catch the oil in Something to catch the coolant in a tapered punch or drift or two to line stuff up, ESPECIALLY the exhaust system parts Boards/sticks to the the removed AC compressor and PS pump to to hold them out of the way, 2 x 4s that extend over the rear seat back work great trouble lamp Some way to clean stuff up, like gas to wipe up oil stains and clean parts Some coffee cans. I always use an "up can" and a "down can" to put in stuff that came out from above and below. You can figure it all out from there. Digital pictures of the engine from above before you get started. Some plastic bags, and paper tags to know what is in them. Some way to deal with rusted up exhaust nuts. You will not have to remove any studs from the heads if you take the system apart at the 2-into-1 cast iron pipe. You can pull the front and back pipes off that way and leave the studs in place. If studs come out with the nuts, so what. If studs break off, be prepared to deal with that. Heads are coming out anyway, you can deal with it then.

If the heads are good, but pitted, you will need a dremel tool with a round metal burr to drill out the decayed aluminum and some jb weld and razor scrapers to smoothly trowel in the pits. Then use 150 grit sandpaper spray-glued to a smooth surface (glass, thick plywood, etc.) to put the head face down on and drag back and forth until everything feels flat.

Jim

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:40 AM, neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Robert. > > I'm sure you've looked, but I'm almost certain there's a ton of info > in the archives about removing/installing the engine. > > The Zoltan hoist worked for me. Here's mine though I've shortened the frame: > > http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ZoltanHoist.jpg/ZoltanHoist-full;init:.jpg > > Better pics of someone elses: > > http://wavanagon.googlepages.com/87westfaliaenginework > > My winch is a worm gear type. There are less expensive winches. (i.e. > as shown in second set of pics) > > Tools? I haven't removed a WBX, (and I don't know about AC though I > imagine you remove the compressor from engine and leave it attached to > hoses in engine bay) but if it's anything like an air cooled engine, > it's basically nuts/bolts holding engine to tranny, various wires, > hoses, etc. "Simple" stuff. Not a lot of tools required. > > If it were me, using floor jack(s), stuff needed: 2 properly rated > jack stands, wheel blocks, and floor jack(s) with a high enough lift. > (IIRC, 19" minimum. Maybe 21"). > > With a Zoltan hoist/chain etc. I needed a piece of carpet or wood > under engine, a jack, and a jack stand to hold one side of rear up. > > Removing heads? More tools needed. I'm not familiar enough with the > WBX to know exactly what. > > Hopefully your heads are ok and a gasket job is all that's needed. > > Check other engine swap places like Vanaru, Bostig etc. You never know. > > Cheers, > > Neil. > > On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@mac.com> wrote: >> That engine sounded perfect! Crap. >> >> Ben, I am thinking I should just do the gaskets and if they heads are >> in bad shape get new AMC head as well. >> >> Now the part of who's installing it. >> >> I have a local VW guy but he mostly works on the old round buses, he >> did do a Go Westy Engine swap a year ago but I am not sure how good he >> is. >> >> I know he rents his lift sometimes so maybe he might be willing to >> assist me on the project. Not sure. Zoltan tells me I can do it >> myself. As a novice, I am not sure without some direct moment to >> moment advice. >> >> What I am looking at parts wise and tool wise to complete this >> project? Cost for parts? >> >> or Should I just hire someone to do the job? >> >> Wish there was a step be step instruction manual for beginners. >> >> If you are anyone has a good engine please let me know. >> >> Thanks, >> >> Robert >> Bloomingburg NY >> 347 731 7938 cell >> >> On Aug 20, 2008, at 11:17 AM, Benny boy wrote: >> >>> http://www.benplace.com/roadhaus/100_0159.jpg >>> http://www.benplace.com/roadhaus/100_0160.jpg >>> >>> How many more do you want? >>> >>> DON'T leave with a head problem, they will surely fail on your >>> trip!!!! >>> Plain stupid. It will cost you WAY more on the road. >>> >>> Forget that stupid stop leak product. This is a real joke. >>> >>> Your engine need attention, your not fixing a toy with glue but a >>> vehicle >>> that will cary your family. >>> >>> So you fix that engine, get a good use one or you stay home! >>> >>> I have seen enough of that "Trying to patch my engine" with cutomers >>> and >>> folks here and elsewhere. It never last. That engine as one of the >>> worse >>> head gasket design in the world. >>> >>> Sadly for you, i just sold a VERY nice re-sealed and top shape 2.1L >>> for 400 >>> $ with 2 yo heads.... >>> >>> Ben >> >